Upgrading Gnome to 2.6

jstreed

I got the cookers working, but everytime I install the Gnome 2.6 upgrade my screen locks up right before the login prompt. Is there any step I'm missing? Here's the general steps I took.

1) went to easy urpmi page and got the cooker repositories.

2) setup repositories on console

3) once cooker showed up in mandrake package list, I sorted available installs by "upgrade"

4) I selected gnome 2.6 then clicked ok for the dependencies. Once the downloads and installs were done, the xserver appeared to reboot and go to the login. At this point, I get the blue screen and a watch.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

jstreed

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

Ctrl>Alt>F2

login as root

service dm stop

startx

what are the errors?

Alright, so I tried it a different way. I did a clean install of Mandrake with only KDE installed. I then setup the cooker rpm's and picked Gnome 2.6 w/dependencies to install. Like always, some of the packages which downloaded had bad signatures, and I decided to go through with the installation. Install finished and rebooted, the system reboots fine, and the Gnome 2.6 splash screen comes up. The loader freezes on Nautilus. Maybe there's a problem with the rpm mirrors? I've heard of others getting this to work pretty easily. Any other ideas?

thanks in advance,

jstreed

I just installed ML-10-OE over a yum borked FC2, add this cooker

/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg

cooker ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/cooker/i586/media/main {
 hdlist: hdlist.cooker.cz
 with_hdlist: hdlist.cz
}

cooker_contrib ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/cooker/contrib/i586 {
 hdlist: hdlist.cooker_contrib.cz
}

cooker2 ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS2 {
 hdlist: hdlist.cooker2.cz
}

cooker3 ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS3 {
 hdlist: hdlist.cooker3.cz
 ignore
 key-ids: 26752624
 with_hdlist: ../base/hdlist.cz
}

in int 3 did;

urpmi --auto --auto-select

rebooted>logged in and all is well.

Edited by bvc

sure, just select

gnome-session

and maybe some others like

gnome-control-center

gnome-panel

I went to init 3 because I was in gnome. That, in the past has caused problems, so I just don't do it anymore.

ahh, that must be the problem I was having. I'll give that a try tonight and see how it works. Thanks for all your help.

jstreed

sure, just select

gnome-session

and maybe some others like

gnome-control-center

gnome-panel

I went to init 3 because I was in gnome. That, in the past has caused problems, so I just don't do it anymore.

Are you doing this in a consol after doing crtl-alt-f2 or are you doing this and then starting X again? I'm just worried if I starrX and try again I'm going to fry another install.

Thanks again.

I just installed ML-10-OE over a yum borked FC2, add this cooker

/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg

cooker ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/cooker/i586/media/main {
 hdlist: hdlist.cooker.cz
}

cooker_contrib ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/cooker/contrib/i586 {
 hdlist: hdlist.cooker_contrib.cz
}

cooker2 ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS2 {
 hdlist: hdlist.cooker2.cz
}

cooker3 ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS3 {
 hdlist: hdlist.cooker3.cz
 ignore
 key-ids: 26752624
 with_hdlist: ../base/hdlist.cz
}

in int 3 did;

urpmi --auto --auto-select

rebooted>logged in and all is well.

I can't get any of those Cooker mirrors to work. I've put them in the /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg file, but when I try to update it says there was an error retreiving the hdlist files.

the idea is that gnome shouldn't be running. So logout and do it from init 3. Also, XFree will be replace with xorg. So stop the dm, if you are running one.

service dm stop

<after the updates>

service dm start

will start the dm for you to log in........hopefully ;)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

no, take just the lines you added out of the urpmi.cfg. Add the source with the media manager in software managment.

Just tick ftp

give it a name

url

the idea is that gnome shouldn't be running. So logout and do it from init 3. Also, XFree will be replace with xorg. So stop the dm, if you are running one.

service dm stop

<after the updates>

service dm start

will start the dm for you to log in........hopefully ;)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

no, take just the lines you added out of the urpmi.cfg. Add the source with the media manager in software managment.

Just tick ftp

give it a name

url

Alright, I got the cookers done. But is there no way to do this graphically? All I want to update from the cookers is Gnome and Xorg.

you can do in in rpmdrake from any other DE or WM.

I tried it again, and again the intall failed. Everytime I try I get errors stating "bad signatures" and "install failed". I've tried user many different mirrors from the easy urpmi page. I tried using Fedora core 2 for Amd64, but I hate the menu setup, and the fact that it's difficult to change. I much prefer mandrake's ability to let me edit every aspect of the menus. Now I'm stuck....

weird. If your sources only had those three urls enabled then I don't know what to tell you :unsure:

I'm starting to think now that it may be a header problem. Do you think running a urpmi.update -a

before

urpmi --update-select

would fix it?

(By the way, I just installed Fedora 2 yesterday.....and hated it. Nvidia drivers are screwed, no ntfs support without rebuilding the kernel on amd64, and no menu customization. Yahoo. Back to Mandrake).

jstreed