Networking associated instability

jamespetts

I'm having some bizarre and random problems that all seem to be associated with networking. I'll outline them briefly here.

Often, when I start the computer or log in anew, the network (it's on a small home LAN) won't work at all: eth0 is up, and pinging my own address works, but pinging the address of another computer on the network doesn't. Sometimes, it'll suddenly stop working in the middle of a session for no apparent reason, although not when there's constant network activity, like Gaim or constant pinging of another machine on the network. It seems to take an arbitrary period of time to start working, but pinging another machine on hte network whilst being pinged by that machine seems to get it working faster.

Also, I've had problems with hard-locks and program freezes with programes associated with networking: Mozilla is unstable (often freezes and needs to be killed), and a program called reoback that I was using to backup accross the network predictably caused system hard-locks that required pressing "reset" to undo. I have also had a hard-lock of that sort for no reason whilst typing a message in a form (message board) in Mozilla.

Does this sound like a hardware or software problem? (I have a spare NIC that I could try, but opening this el-cheapo case is never fun). If software, any ideas on how to get it to work properly? It was working fine under Win2k, but I know that that doesn't necessarily rule out a hardware fault.

Thank you in advance for any help :-)

I'm having some bizarre and random problems that all seem to be associated with networking. I'll outline them briefly here.

Often, when I start the computer or log in anew, the network (it's on a small home LAN) won't work at all: eth0 is up, and pinging my own address works, but pinging the address of another computer on the network doesn't. Sometimes, it'll suddenly stop working in the middle of a session for no apparent reason, although not when there's constant network activity, like Gaim or constant pinging of another machine on the network. It seems to take an arbitrary period of time to start working, but pinging another machine on hte network whilst being pinged by that machine seems to get it working faster.

Also, I've had problems with hard-locks and program freezes with programes associated with networking: Mozilla is unstable (often freezes and needs to be killed), and a program called reoback that I was using to backup accross the network predictably caused system hard-locks that required pressing "reset" to undo. I have also had a hard-lock of that sort for no reason whilst typing a message in a form (message board) in Mozilla.

Does this sound like a hardware or software problem? (I have a spare NIC that I could try, but opening this el-cheapo case is never fun). If software, any ideas on how to get it to work properly? It was working fine under Win2k, but I know that that doesn't necessarily rule out a hardware fault.

Thank you in advance for any help :-)

Yeah! It sounds like a network card problem to me! I would, try and replace the card.

Also, are you using SAMBA!????

If you re, check the smb.conf , the master browser section it could drive you crazy like one time it happened to me!.

Hope it helped!!

Emilio