Encrypting + LiveCD + VMWare

Guest Manngo

Guest Manngo

Hi!

I have get here after a lot of search. I'm looking for a certain way to secure a computer and would like to ask for your help here. Win is installed on it.

I'm thinking about the following:

Use encryption on the entire HDD of a computer (only this gives a sufficient level of security) with a tool such as BestCrypt. After this, the HDD will look like containing random data (such as unformatted).

How it should work:

The HDD is not bootabe. So system should be loaded from a LiveCD or USBdrive. On this LiveCD the encrypting program should be exist (not a big one). After booting from CD, the HDD partitions could be mounted and accessed (thanks to on-the-fly encrypting).

Other coments:

The comp should be able, to run WinXP on it. Therefore VMWare is needed, that can be launhed after accessing the HD partitions.

The LiveCD should be removed after booting.

I have seen the mkLivecd program in the FAQ, and also found out that Mandrake supports VMWare as a host op. system. So all the basics are given, to make Mandrake the ideal host Operating system for the method.

Let me ask some questions:

1.)I need the WinXP enviroment for some programs. Can I run VMWare when I boot from a LiveCD?

2.) I would like to free up the CD drive after booting. I can create a partition on the HDD and install Mandrake on it (from that I create the LiveCD). Are there any way to remove the CD after booting from it? Becouse after booting I can access the OS on the HDD. Can I use it somehow instead of the CD?

Booting from an USB drive is also an option. In this case it not needed to be removed, but an USB contains less data than a CD.

3.)Do you think this all is possible under Mandrake?

PS.:Please consider this post theoretical. I'm only searching the proper systems/programs and the best method. If you say it is possible, I will start to learn everything about Mandrake.

Many thanks for any help in advance.

Manngo

Manngo I do not know much thing that you are needing but I find that is better you to make a based on Knoppix (The Knoppix and distros based on it in my opinion are the best Linux LiveCDs), you take off the packages unnecessary and install new packages.

Website of Knoppix

The Knoppix you install it in hd add and remove packages in accordance with its preference and generate a new distribution linux personalized.

But you to make its proper distribution linux you need to make the

following addition RAM + SWAP = 1GB.

If you it will be interested in to alter the Knoppix Click Here, this is step by step (In Brazilian Portuguese) of as to alter the Kurumin Linux (Based on Knoppix 3.1)

I wait that I have helped you :P

Edited by luizmdk