Making Kdict work

jimw

Well, I've got stardict working, right off the bat. I'd like to see what Kdict has to offer, but in order to make a fair test, it appears I have to have a PERL Dict protcol. I have downloaded this, the Jiten protocol, (http://www.miranda.org/~jkominek/jiten/) and can't quite figure what to do with it, and there are no instructions such as someone like me desperately needs.

My Machine (Mandrake 10), has perl installed, however, I know little about how perl scripts work.

A quick helping hand would be appreciated.

Jim Wagner

Just last night found a Mandrake rpm for dict, installed it, and now kdict works. My next problem is, how to get it to see files on my system. I got some files, off the debian site, that are supposed to work with dict, if I understand correctly.

Anyone have any suggestions about making them work?

What format are they suopposed to be in, and how do I transfer them?

Jim Wagner

Dict works as a client/server (kdict is the client and dictd the server). If you want to acces dict files locally you have to set up a dict server (look in the kdict help for a HOWTO).

Much simpler is to use a publicly available dict server (dict.tugraz.at is a good one). Go to settings--> kdict settings--> hostname: XXXXXXXX. For XXXX use your favorite dict server. On the dict.og webpage you an find a complete listing of servers.

Good luck.

Dict works as a client/server (kdict is the client and dictd the server). If you want to acces dict files locally you have to set up a dict server (look in the kdict help for a HOWTO).

Much simpler is to use a publicly available dict server (dict.tugraz.at is a good one). Go to settings--> kdict settings--> hostname: XXXXXXXX. For XXXX use your favorite dict server. On the dict.og webpage you an find a complete listing of servers.

Okay, I seem to be getting a little further forward. I opened the rpm, but it didn't seem to install properly.

I went back and got in the tarball, untarred and unzipped it, then did the configure, which worked all right. The 'make"' left me with an error message:

sysdeps/i386/elf/start.S:98: undefined reference to `main'

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

make: *** [.c] Error 1

Which I don't understand. (Sorry, I never claimed to be much beyond a newbie.)

Any good advice for me now?

Jim