Most direct path to ppp? [solved]

theYinYeti

I'm in a situation where I can't use wvdial, and I can't use kppp. I used to use wvdial, but it suddenly stopped working reliably.

So I decided: If I can't have one of those nice tools, I'll do it the "raw-way": a shell script that launches pppd itself.

I have a chat-script, probably created by some drak tool, in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0. I looked at it and it seems to be OK.

I have a peer, probably created by Mandrake as well, in /etc/ppp/peers/ppp0. I looked at it, and it simply is "connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0'" (from memory), so OK.

I also have a pap-secrets, probably created by wvdial, in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets, which contains:

"<my_login_at_ISP>" ppp0 "<my_passwd_at_ISP>"

I tried:

pppd /dev/ttyS0 debug name ppp0 user <my_login_at_ISP> call ppp0

It failed. What is the proper way to connect to internet, using directly pppd? There seems to be an authentication problem.

Yves.

Edited by theYinYeti

Have you read the man pages? Unfortunately you'll have to consult them to get it going.

Also, some ISPs have their own ppp scripts for you, I know that Worldonline in South Africa have a ppp script on their website for Linux users.

Have you tried calling your ISP and asking?

Have you read the man pages?
You bet! Of course I have :rolleyes: (true!) That's how I got the options I tried.

I know that my ISP is not at fault, because kppp can connect without any tweak (only I can't use kppp in my config :angry:).

The problem is that one day, wvdial got confused, probably by a slight (but probably valid) change in my ISP config: after wvdial provides "(password)", it seems to recognize some sort of prompt (though I don't see it in console output), and then sends its default answer: "ppp". At that, my ISP answers that ppp is not a valid command, only quit and help are. I tried making wvdial's default answer "", then "help", but it did not help. After 3 or 4 attempts to answer the (invisible?) prompt, it says that it does not know what to do next, so it launches pppd, which doesn't help... I have to kill it.

Back to subject, what I don't understand is that even though I provide host (name ppp0) and username (user <my_login_at_ISP>), the first two fields in pap-secrets, I still see "(null)" appear as either host or user in console output. It looks like there's a shift in reading the lines of pap-secrets, so that pppd gets lost.

I tried appending "*" (means: any IP address) at the end of the pap-secrets' line, but it does not help...

What next?

Done (I'm currently accessing internet from home again). The problem was with the "auth" option in the "options" file. It should be noauth instead. So here's the answer:

/etc/ppp/options:

lock

noauth

noipdefault

usepeerdns

/etc/ppp/pap-secrets:

# client server secret IP addresses

<my_login_at_ISP> * <my_passwd_at_ISP>

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0:

'ABORT' 'BUSY'

'ABORT' 'ERROR'

'ABORT' 'NO CARRIER'

'ABORT' 'NO DIALTONE'

'ABORT' 'Invalid Login'

'ABORT' 'Login incorrect'

'' 'ATZ+DS=3;+ES=3,0,2;+IFC=2,2;' ###THAT'S FOR MY MODEM!###

'OK' 'ATM0L0'

'OK' 'ATDT<ISP_Tel_number>'

'CONNECT' ''

'TIMEOUT' '5'

'~--' ''

/etc/ppp/peers/ppp0:

connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0"

the command:

pppd debug nodetach lock modem crtscts /dev/ttyS0 115200 defaultroute user <my_login_at_ISP> name ppp0 call ppp0

Yves.

[edit:]see also here: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...ndpost&p=204253[/edit]