External modem problem

Guest redbeardz

Guest redbeardz

I just bought an external modem to use with my new Mandrake 10 install. I was tired of messing with the winmodem and this one was pretty cheap. Anyway, I've plugged everything in and I can't get it to work. When I do the query modem command under kppp one of the outputs says 'ATI2 error'. I have know idea what this means. When I try to connect to my ISP the modem log just hangs on ATDT and the phone number but I never hear and dialing or anything.

Besides making a symlink for /dev/modem is there any other setup that is required for an external modem?

BTW, I this is my first experience with Mandrake and so far I really like it.

If it's a serial modem and you have the right /dev entry linked to /de/modem it should work fine.

So either you've linked the wrong entry or the modem is busted. Also try another dialler like wvdial and see if that works (wvdial is a little clevere with speaking to modems than most other diallers).

# urpmi wvdial

EDIT: You might also need a modem string, consult the manufacturer's website or use google to find out.

Edited by SoulSe

I also highly reccomend you skip wvdial and isntall kppp, even if you're not using KDE. as a former dial up user, I can say with absolute certainty that kppp is vastly superior to wvdial in terms of user friendlyness and ease of configuration.

Ther other 2 unlikely possiblities are a bad serial port or a defective modem.

If it was the port, yo0u'd probably be haviong other major hardware related problems as sinlge motherboard components rarely fail without taking their friends with them. If you're never able to querry successfully i'd take the modem bake and exchange it.