Problems browsing the internet.

sambo

I have just configured KPPP to connect me to the internet, and it appears to do so correctly (ie. it says I'm connected, etc...). However, when I start up my internet browser (either Mozilla or Konqueror) it doesn't seem to be able to find a page I try to load. Kopete has the same problem, it doesn't connect to the networks.

It seems to be an internet configuration problem, rather than a specific program problem because no programs I have connect to the internet.

Does anyone know how I can fix my problems?

Thanks!

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

I do have the firewall going.

Sily question, but is it fairly safe to let the firewall down? I'm used to windows where disabling zone alarm makes you a sitting duck.

Am I still fairly safe using Linux without a firewall?

Thanks!

Running without a firewall is safe enough in your case.

I assume you're using a dialup connection, since you are using kppp - in most cases, a dialup connection has a dynamic ip address and isn't on all the time.

So you're pretty safe from hackers, and since there are very very very very very few linux viruses, I wouldn't worry about a firewall.

I have a permanant broadband connection at home and I don't have a firewall because I am behind a router/dhcp server and have an ip adress that changes often, so I'm relatively safe.

Thanks for feedback folks!

I've disabled the firewall and everything is going well!

I've nmapped myself to test my security and it came up with this:

(The 1651 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)

PORT    STATE SERVICE

22/tcp  open  ssh

111/tcp  open  rpcbind

139/tcp  open  netbios-ssn

445/tcp  open  microsoft-ds

725/tcp  open  unknown

838/tcp  open  unknown

2049/tcp open  nfs

6000/tcp open  X11

Am I fairly safe with these ports open?

Which options should I keep checked/unchecked in my firewall settings to allow for me to browse, email, IM with maximum security?

The options it gives me are:

*Everything (no firewall)

*Web Server

*Domain name server

*ssh server

*ftp server

*mail server

*pop and imap server

*samba server

*echo request (ping)

I am a pretty average internet user (browsing, email, messaging) so I'm guessing I probably don't need most of this stuff going?

Thanks again!

Like I said, forget about the firewall. You're on dialup so it isn't a problem.

But if you do want to set it up - make sure that Domain Name Servers an get through, pop and imap and echo request should do it...

I wouldn't say that not having a firewall was not a problem - it IS fairly safe on dial-up, but we don't know what's around the corner (undiscovered security holes for instance...)

You should at the very least disable those servers you are not using - ssh, rpc, nfs etc - with no firewall, 'random' portscans will pick them up - you don't want that - suppose your ssh server is set up and you have a bad password :)

You can disable unwanted services in the control centre (mcc)

You probably won't come to any harm without a firewall, but best to be on the safe side.

As for setting up your firewall, deselect all the tickboxes, including the 'everything' tickbox. Don't worry about allowing things like imap, DNS and POP through - this refers to new connections from the outside - we want to block them. The best state is to only allow replies to your requests and to completely ignore everything else - you should get this by deselecting all the boxes.

Chris

(paranoid)