Synaptics Touchpad

Guest mepaco

Guest mepaco

I am a linux newbie and can't get the tap-click my Synaptics Touchpad (Dell 5150) to work. I have previously installed Fedora Core 2 and Suse 9.1 and used the "psmouse.proto=imps" trick to get it to work. I have added the line to both the Lilo and Grub conf files and it still will not work. I have seen things about a driver but being a complete newbie I don't know how to install it. Anyway, if anyone knows why the imps trick doesn't work or can point me to a good set of step by step instructions for the driver I would really appreciate it.

-Paco

Guest mepaco

Thanks for the link. I will bookmark it for the future but my problem fixed itself. Last night I would add the line, change options, restart, and it never worked. So I gave up, shut it down, and this morning it worked! Anyone know why it took a complete powerdown and not just a restart? Also, does anyone know why the linux installation messes up the touchpad in my Windows partition too?