Removing Ndiswrapper 4.0

d3ac0n

ok, not sure if this should go in the hardware or software forums, so I'll start here.

Bit of a Linux n00b here, so please bear with my ignorance.

I am trying to get my Buffalotech wireless card working under Mandrake 10 Now, as many here may know, this runs the MELCO Chipset, and there are no linux drivers available from Buffalotech or Melco. So, I have to resort to using Ndiswrapper. Unfortunately, the version of ndiswrapper that 10 ships with (0.4) doesn't work, and Mandrake will not allow me to install 8.0. I can install 7.5, but it does not run, just 4.0 runs.

I did search the forums already, and tried some of the suggestions offered.

I already ran:

urpme ndiswrapper

That helped remove the non-functional binary installation of 7.5 I had tried, and then when I ran it again to remove 4.0, I got:

unknown package:  ndiswrapper

so I thought it was gone, until I ran dmesg, and saw, on the very last line:

ndiswrapper version 4.0 loaded

ok, what's the deal here? how do I get this 4.0 version OUT of my machine so I can install 8.0?

Edited by d3ac0n

Hmm... Looks like nobody knows.

strange thing is, whenever I try to compile the 8.0 ndiswrapper from source, it errors out as if I didn't have the kernel source installed, when I do. (made a point of adding it in after the original install.) I know it's not a symlink issue, because when you do a GUI-based install of the kernel source, it automatically adds all the correct symlinks. But I keep getting this error when trying to perform a "make install" on it.

make -C driver install
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/deacon/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.3-4mdk/build SUBDIRS=/home/deacon/ndiswrapper-0.8/drivers DRV_VERSION=0.8 modules
make[2]: Entering directory '/lib/modules/2.6.3-4mdk/build'
make[2]: ***No rule to make target 'modules'. Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/lib/modules/2.6.3-4mdk/build'
make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving Directory '/home/deacon/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver'
make:  *** [install] Error2

I was thinking that this might be related to the ndiswrapper 0.4 version being installed, but I'm not entirely sure. anyone have any clues?

:wall:

:help: