help with ndiswrapper, linksys wmp54G

Guest pgsirois

Guest pgsirois

After 3 weeks of toil, I'm still without networking on MDK10.0 (2.6.3-7mdk). I have the cursed Linksys WMP54G v.2 adapter (BCM94306 chipset), and am back to trying ndiswrapper again (Linuxant driverloader hasn't worked for me either).

I've tried ndiswrapper 0.7 and 0.8, with original Linksys drivers from CD, and current drivers from Linksys web site. Everything seems to install correctly per ndiswrapper INSTALL instructions, 'dmesg' output looks fine, no IRQ conflicts from 'cat /proc/interrupts', expected results from 'ifconfig' and 'iwconfig'. But I have a blank ESSID, and am never able to find the AP ('iwlist wlan0 scan' returns "no results", and 'iwlist wlan0 AP' says "no peers/Access Points").

I'm within 10 feet of my AP, with no obstruction. My network is wide-open, no WEP, SSID broadcast enabled. A WinXP client right next to my MDK-Linux box finds the wireless network just fine, with excellent signal strength and 48Mbps.

So I'm stumped, and for now having to use WindowsXP for networking. Would sure like to network from Linux...any help appreciated.

Guest pgsirois

Yes, there's hope:

In a post on the ndiswrapper forums on SourceForge.net, another MDK10.0/wmp54g user was successful with the v3.40.x driver from a different BCM94306-based adapter (see http://www.silfreed.net/download/hpzt3000cto/

...an HP laptop?).

So I tried it...and now have LAN connectivity through the wmp54g. Moral of my story: "official" Linksys drivers didn't work for me with ndiswrapper-0.8 on MDK 10.0 (2.6.3-7mdk).

In a post on the ndiswrapper forums on SourceForge.net, another MDK10.0/wmp54g user was successful with the v3.40.x driver from a different BCM94306-based adapter (see http://www.silfreed.net/download/hpzt3000cto/

...an HP laptop?).

Yes, an HP. I've a monologue over in the hardware section to back that up:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=16276

I've a Belkin card with the same chipset. I'd been tearing myhair out because the Belkin drivers weren't working, then I found another set of drivers over on the HP/Compaq site (same name and same byte count) and when I used them, all my troubles went away.

It should be easier than this, though.

Guest pgsirois

You're right: it should be easier to set up wireless networking on Linux...Mandrake or otherwise. Seems this could be a final barrier to entry for a lot of new users.

So, to help those new users (like me), some more information:

As mentioned above, I finally abandoned "official" drivers for my Linksys WMP54g v2, and used the HP/Compaq driver found at ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp23001-23500/SP23107.exe (initially I found the .exe at another web site, but it appears to be identical. Probably better to use the one from HP/Compaq site's, though).

From SP23107.exe, I used bcmwl5a.inf and NOT bcmwl5.inf. Actual BCM94306 driver version is "DriverVer=10/28/2003, 3.40.25.3" I then followed INSTALL instructions for ndiswrapper-0.8, and voila, am now network-enabled through my wmp54g.

Finally: I had to configure my internet connection via iwconfig and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts...."Internet Access" under Mdklinux Control Center 10 doesn't seem to work.