RealTek 650 soundless

arlen

Is this perhaps the Realtek ALC650?

If I remember correctly, you should be able to choose the driver for the ac97 codec but I may be wrong. you can also try here.

I can't check these downloads to see what exactly they are at the moment (rpm or source files), so if you have questions please ask.

Now that was interesting.

Downloaded the file tyme pointed to and built the drivers. MCC still couldn't recognize the card or load the drivers, but I've grown less trusting of it lately, so I started looking elsewhere. And progress was made.

After following the instructions in the readme file (following instructions -- imagine that, what a novel concept) there was still no sound coming from the speakers, even after starting soundcore.

So I ran the alsa configuration utility, and the only card it wanted to install was an ATI card, not a RealTek one. (Yes, I know, bear with me for there's a point to be had by the time I digress again.) So, when it asked if I wanted it to modify the module config file, I chickened out and said no. So, since I didn't want to let it have its fun with the config file, it took revenge by completely wiping out my wireless networking setup. <sigh>

After rebuilding the actual config file I wanted, instead of what it insisted I should have, and getting my network access back (Digression: Linux builders seem to hate it when you add something. I've had to manually re-add the wireless networking parameters so often this week that I have the 128-bit hex access key memorized!) I went back and looked up the system specs: my chipset is RealTek, true, but it's part of an ATI system, so the ATI IXP alsa had offered up was the right choice after all. I went back and added it, this time telling it to go ahead and write the configuration (and crossing my fingers that I'd still have the network when it finished -- wonders never cease, I did).

It said to unmute the card with a mixer, but of course Kmixer proved incapable of doing this, so after digging around through the system for a while I found alsamixer, and, after some trial and error, got the correct sound channels unmuted. (Along the way getting treated to a nice loud burst of static. as a consequence of unmuting a channel I guess I shouldn't oughtta unmuted, so I remuted it.)

Thanks for the pointer, and, to make a long story short (too late) it's now working fine.

Digression: Linux builders seem to hate it when you add something. I've had to manually re-add the wireless networking parameters so often this week that I have the 128-bit hex access key memorized!

this is mostly a mandrake thing. if you don't set it up through the wizards, they like to reset things for you. i'm not sure why - but other linux distributions won't do this to you.

did my link actually help or just point you in the right direction? either way, glad you got it working :thumbs:

this is mostly a mandrake thing. if you don't set it up through the wizards, they like to reset things for you. i'm not sure why - but other linux distributions won't do this to you.

did my link actually help or just point you in the right direction? either way, glad you got it working :thumbs:

You pointed out the driver I needed, and everything else eventually flowed from there, so thanks.

But it's not a Mandrake Wizard thing that wiped my module config. it happened when the alsa config thingummy got petulant after I said it couldn't write to the file. It appears that it pulled some default config out of a bodily orifice and plastered it in place of the one I had, probably in some sort of a half-baked attempt at an "undo". (Oops, he said don't write it after all!)

At least it only fried *that* file, so the ifcfg-wlan0 and other assorted files associated with the wireless card were still there. All I had to do was check that everything was still working through iwconfig and then restitch a new config file.