Firefox and mouse wheel

Guest SuSUconvert

Guest SuSUconvert

Hi,

Mandrake 10 / Firefox 0.9.1

Everything works great, except that when I use the mouse wheel to scroll up on a page, I'm sometimes taken to the previous page (as if I'd pressed the 'back' button).

Any idea what's going on here?

I do not have any extensions loaded at this time

Mouse is a Logitech MX700

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome to the board :)]

Guest SuSUconvert
You probably had a shift key depressed while using the scroll wheel. SHIFT+SCROLL moves your forwards/backwards in history.

Erhm - this has been going on for several days -- I think I'd have noticed if the shift key was CONTINUALLY DEPRESSED B)

Guest SuSUconvert

Thank you everyone for your answers.

I'm not sure exactly which part of it ended up solving the problem, but fiddling with mousedrake, poking around in the XF86Config-4 mouse settings, and rebooting somehow seems to have done the trick.

I guess Firefox is the only app I use where these problems manifested themselves.

Edited by SuSUconvert

Glad to hear that your problem is fixed. I've had the same thing happen to occasionally in the past, but I've always assumed that I've stumbled over some key/mouse gesture sequence by accident.

Something new I've noticed in Fox-9 is that if you depress and hold the right mouse button and then move the scroll wheel a history list pops up so you can scroll through the history. I found this quite by accident and didn't see it in previous releases. I wonder if the same sequence was used to scroll history in previous releases, but without the popup list. That would explain the mysterious page changes. It's easy to unintentionally press the right mouse button (at least on my mouse) while scrolling.

I haven't found a definitive list of all the keyboard and mouse alternative active in firefox. The mozilla documentation seems incomplete. I wonder what else is lurking out there.