mandrake 10 or 9.2 won't install

gatemaster

Guest 10Mhz

Hello gatemaster,

If you could be more specific about how much physical hard disks you have and how they are partitioned, I am sure you could get a better answers from the folks around here.

I had myself could not boot from the 1st mandrake 10.0 cd,

could not boot using the cdrom.img floppy,

could not boot using the 2nd mandrake cd.

Reburned new cds with slower speeds and correctly using the (burn image function in Nero)

Nothing Helped! But, both of the cds could be read by the cdrom, If inserted in windows xp the installation would pop up, so I figured that the burning quality of the cds wasnt the problem I burned using x16 speed.

After a frustrating searches over the internet for a solution, Some nice guy in a chat helped me out and pointed me to the solution. :deal:

Smart Boot Manager

http://linux.simple.be/tools/sbm

Write the sbootmgr.dsk using rawwrite program to a new floppy. Insert the 1st mandrake cd in the cdrom, boot the computer with this floppy it should automatically boot cdrom and installation program. :headbang:

About Mandrake 10.0 I can say that, it is the first time i installed linux at all. At first I only slapped me until i could initiate the boot and after that i could install it without problems. As far to if it worth it. Damn yes, it gives you the breath of your life time, freedom you never say with windows, works faster for me, the truth that it? a bit harder to configure it for me now at the beginning but learning is a must and expecting to know to drive a formula 1 instantly after you drove a comfortable BMW is a bit naive, no?

But look at the bottom line if you know how to use Linux you are capable for more than any windows user, it teaches you to think, solve problems, develop patience. And the reward is also sweeter...

10mhz, I have XP on a 40gb drive (primary ntfs IDE 1), the slave to that is a 60gb drive(ntfs) I use for storing various data. the 60gb drive had a 8gb partition(fat32) as a go between linux and xp. linux was installed on a 13.5 gb drive (slave IDE 2) with a liteon cd drive(primary IDE 2). like I said only the mandrake wouldn't boot from CDI figured I could put the boot image that goes on a floppy on the install CD and it should boot from there. I was thinking to disconnect the xp and storage drives to protect them from linux and then install man10, then I can reconnect the other drives and boot to linux with a floppy start disk.

I guess it might be better if I move the 13.5 linux drive to the slave position on IDE 1 slot with the 40gb xp primary drive.

what do you think?

aussiejohn, you were right I did not defrag first, i forgot.

Edited by gatemaster

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got another machine setup to install linux. I made a floppy with cdrom image on it since it won't boot from cd. the floppy started the install then an error came up and said the cd did not appear tp be a mandrake install disk. I got that with the community 10 disk and the 9.2 disk. I guess I got a bad download or burn. I no longer have the iso's to try another burn and the 10 community version seems to be gone. I really wanted to see what mandrake was like. :wall: