Ndiswrapper Issue

Sherpa

this is the continuation of a problem that started after i followed all of the instructions in this thread:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?act...=15#entry127339

the exact error message that is displayed at startup is:

ndiswrapper device does not seem to be present, delaying installation.

i will now check the system log, and see what the message

Edited by Sherpa

Jul  4 01:50:49 localhost network: Bringing up interface eth0: failed 
Jul  4 01:50:51 localhost ifup: ndiswrapper device wlan0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization. 
Jul  4 01:50:51 localhost network: Bringing up interface wlan0: failed

this is the log entry for startup.....

it seems now that i can access my router, and i am able to ping other computers on my network wirelessly ( this is of course after i have logged on and issued the command "/etc/init.d/network restart" ) all through the wireless card. i am even able to use VNC to connect to other computers, however there is a slight problem... i can only access things on my local network. when ever i go into Firefox, mozilla, or konquorer, and type a web address, like google, it says "An error occurred while loading http://www.google.com/: Unknown host www.google.com" i do not under stand this. i am able to access all of the web based utilities on my network via the card, but then i am not able to access public addresses? i have checked all of the router settings to make sure it was nothing wron on that end, and there is not, i even booted into winblows (after 3 months of fasting) to make sure that it worked on public addresses, and it does. so i am pretty sure that it is something wrong on my computer's end. Anyone else had this problem. I ams still having the problem that i mentioned above. it still will not load at startup, i have to manually restart the network when i get into X........

i think that i am having this issue partly due to the fact that there used to be a line in my modprobe.conf file that was something like:

alias wlan0 rsomething

where the something is replaced with some number, i remember seeing it there before, but now it is gone, there is also one for my eth0 it is:

alias eth0 r8169

i am not sure what that number is but there used to be a line that had wlan0 and a "r####" is this number specific to my system? or could someone who has ndiswrapper working for their WMP54G please post their full modprobe.conf please?

also when i run ndiswrapper -m to write the modprobe configureation, it tells me to remove the line that beesea said to add... and it tells me to make sure that i know what i am doing 100%....

i still can only connect to my local network in my house

seems like i have this thread to myself, but ill post this anyway for anyone who cares.....

i finally got it working!!! i removed all of the lines that beesea said to add to modprobe.conf.

i then left the settings in the file /etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 (i think that is what and where it is).

i then ran the command /etc/init.d/network restart

then i ran iwconfig to make sure that the propper setting loaded up for the wireless card ie, encryption key, essidd, etc

once i saw that everyting was ok, i issued the command:

ndiswrapper -m

it outputted that is wrote the proper configuration to modprobe.conf (that is what that command is supposed to do anyway)

then i rebooted and everything came up fine, no failures at startup, and now i am talking to you through my linksys wireless g WMP54G card... (with all of my encryption settings)

now i will work on making a static ip address... shouldn't be hard (i dont think)

Edited by Sherpa

i tried to replace the code that was for my eth0 device (which has a static ip address) in the ifcfg-eth0 with the ip address information for my ifcfg-wlan0, but it does not work correctly. i have to do all of this manually, ie without the graphical front end, whenever i go to the mdk ctrl center to modify the settings, it screws up the ifcfg-wlan0 file and tries to configure it to be a lan device ie, it erases the essid line and the key line... do i have to reload the backup file. is there a way to set a static ip address from the command line with ifconfig or something?