User Rights

Guest mandrake123

Guest mandrake123

How can i give a normal user the same rights as root or almost as many rights as root? I tried adding a user to the group 'root' but i still get denied acces to things like:

right clicking a file on a cd and selecting copy and selecting the desktop and trying to paste there and

writing a file to a fat32 partition and renaming files and links. these are all things i do as root with no problem. I can handle having to enter the root password here or there, but being denied access is a pain.

Unfortunately you can not change the mode of files on a fat32 partition. Root will defaultly own all of them, but the fat32 system doesn't gel well enough with Linux to allow chmods.

If it were a journalised filesystem, you could use the command:

# chmod 775 -vR [file/directory]

This is the same as 777, but excludes users from the 'other' classification from writing. I would suggest that you change the fat32 to a Reiserfs or ext3 partition or move the files to one.

You can do whatever you want on an vfat partition if you mount it the right way. You have to mount it with umask=0 and some other stuff so that your normal user can read/write/execute on a vfat partiton. Unfortunately for you (but fortunately for me), I'm windows free here so I don't have any vfat partition :lol: :lol: . But here is a link to a similar post. I wrote that when I still had windows... lol

http://www.club-nihil.net/mub/viewtopic.ph...5609&highlight=

http://www.club-nihil.net/mub/viewtopic.ph...highlight=fat32

http://www.club-nihil.net/mub/viewtopic.ph...highlight=fat32

Hope this help

MOttS

By doing what it is said to do in the 3 above links, you'll be able to write to your vfat partition but always get annoying and pointless error messages about not being able to set permissions when moving files to this medium. Those messages can be automatically deleted by write another option to your fstab --> the 'quiet' option. Here is an example

/dev/hda1  /mnt/win2k vfat user,exec,umask=0,quiet,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0  

Hope this help

MottS

snip... the fat32 system doesn't gel well enough with Linux to allow chmods.

It doesn't get well enough with Windows as well, hence NTFS :-) Linux has nothing to do with that. The FAT filesystem has been designed for DOS ( single-user, single-tasking, for standalone non-networked PC by definition ) and just doesn't provide for such things as file ownership, access permissions and such. More than that - long file names in Windows 95 were successfully introduced with no interference to existing DOS and windows software due to bug in FAT implementation, which became feature - some combination of flags, which should be considered an error, was just plainly ignored, so they made this very combination represent long file name element.