Configuring Mandrake Security Assistance

steward75

Okay I dont understand this.

When I installed MDK10, they have a little section that says when setting up the security settings which level you want your computer set at. If you choose the level they suggest for servers, it blockes out my email ports! ARGH!. You know the standard SMTP and POP3 and IMAP ports. I think it may also block Apache but I'm not too sure on that.

Can anyone tell me how to add my Postfix stuff so that Mandrake Security (MSEC) wont block it? Thanks.

If you wish to run a publicly accessible server, you should read (and understand) the shorewall (firewall) and server docs/howtos - remember (unlike some systems) Linux starts off blocking everything - you have to allow access.

If you are only running the servers on a private LAN, then the standard security setting should suffice. (but you will still have to configure them to allow access).

Webmin is an excellent tool for setting up your servers (urpmi webmin to install)

The security levels are mainly used to set file access, logging, periodic checks, certain networking options etc... Have a look in mcc and msec .

The higher settings can do annoying things like changing permissions on a public samba shared directory in /home every hour (he said from experience...) and disabling your servers - the higher levels are probably not needed if you are not allowing the public in. (individual settings can be tweaked)

Servers can be enabled with the chkconfig command (see the howto)

The firewall will need to be have certain ports opened up to allow packets in to your machine. This is indeed a separate operation.

The servers will of course also need to be told to listen to those ports on the required interface.

You didn't say exactly what you are trying to do, and how far you have got - Public or private access? As I said, if you are 'going public' i.e. opening up incoming ports on an internet facing interface, you really should do a bit of reading...