New Nvidia drivers

johnnyv

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed this driver on my mandrake 10 setup and I'm not seeing a

control panel anywhere. Should this appear somewhere? Also, where

can I look to see which version is being used? Thanks.

Jason

The new control panel (nvidia-settings) rocks big time. Almost all options that are found in the windows driver sets, including

- color correction

- anti-aliasing settings

- anisotropic filtering settings

- thermal monitoring

- digital vibrance and DFP modes (scaled, fixed etc.)

AND it seems to be quite a bit faster than the last version to boot. Yay!

-Sascha.rb

I can't remember right now the exact command but from a terminal window type in

nv

then hit the TAB key. The TAB key tries to auto compleat the command from the first letters you give. You'll get a list of all commands starting with nv wich will include the nvidia-settings(I think thats it) command. The TAB key works for just about everything.

wow, thanks for the fast reply! that was it, and everything is running smoothly. Thanks again.

Jason

I can't remember right now the exact command but from a terminal window type in

nv

then hit the TAB key. The TAB key tries to auto compleat the command from the first letters you give. You'll get a list of all commands starting with nv wich will include the nvidia-settings(I think thats it) command. The TAB key works for just about everything.

I am confused, now. I would like to install the latest nv driver, but it looks like some things have changed on how to do it. Through here, that is. With what aRTee and null are saying I know is different that what I did before, I think. Things like "change innitab to initdefault3" , :edit your xorg.conf file ........", Initdefault?? Xorg.conf ?? "telinit3" , "telinit5"?? These just don't ring a bell. Is this the way to do it in MDK 10.0?? I still have 9.1 (can't afford 10.0 Powerpack, yet). For any that remember, I hate dealing with "X" but due to changing mobo's a few months ago and had to rerun 9.1 to accept the change in CPU's (was Intel, now AMD), I am back to the default nv driver. I downloaded the latest driver, but like I say I hate "X". It gets the best of me 97% of the time. So, yes my brain is numb and I want to make sure I do this right so I don't have to scream, hollar, and pull my hair out.java script:emoticon(':D').

I run a Tyan mobo with 512 megs of ram, a 1.33G CPU, an nVidias GeForce MX 400 64 meg PCI card, and MDK 9.1 PP.

Later. Pepse.

I never bother with that telinit junk. It's a very cumbersome and complicated way of doing some very simple things.

All you need to install, is a shell prompt without X running.

The easiest way to do this is....

1. Download the link.

2. Change the name to something that isn't retarded, like NVIDIA6106.run

3. ctrl-alt-f1 or ctrl-alt-f2 or ctrl-alt-f3 or ctrl-alt-f4........, just no f6 or above

4. Log in as root, or log in as you and su to root.

5. service dm stop

6. CD to wherever you downloaded the nvidia installer

7. run the installer. you'll probably have to use sh instead of ./ and I reccomend the command line options -a and -n. -e is nice if you have a custom setup, but anything remotely standard and you don't need it.

8. vi /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 from there, find 'nv' and change it to 'nvidia' then save and exit. Of course, if you're just upgrading, this should already be done.

9. service dm start

i know that sounds like a lot of stuff, but that's just beccause I'm very pedantic when giving instructions. And since service xx stop/start/restart is a realy common command, it's easier to remember.

Well, VeeDubb, most of what you have makes more sense. But, I am going to put down what I see you are saying. 1, download the link (did that), and (2) I put it in a directory called "nvidia". (3) ctrl-alt-F1 IIRC takes me to a shell and I am out of "X"? (4) SU & psswrd. (5) WHAT?? service dm stop ?? That don't ring a bell. (6) I understand that. (7) "Run the installer" that would be sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6106-pkg1.run . Right?? The options of -a and -n ; those types of things I can't grasp really how to or when to use such commands. (8) vi /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 . Make sure it shows nvidia not nv. I will try vi but, I usually can't get around it very well. I usually use mc. So, I would just change vi to mc and the rest of the command line would remain the same?? (9) service dm start . Again, WHAT?? I think you are saying with 5 & 9 is that I have to toggle something?? I am doing my very best to try not to screwup "X" again. But of course this is another version of how to install a driver and hopefully this won't kill me or my box.

I await your reply oh great one :D .

Pepse.

wow, realy sorry I let this one get past me. let me answer your qustions.

1. you did that right.

2. doesn't matter what directory you put it in as long as you know. And I'd still change the name. the default file name is uselessly long. it's realy best to have it be just long enough that you will reccognize it.

3. yes and no. It takes you to a shell, but x is still funning on shell (telinit) 7 We'll need to fix that later....

4. Realy sorry about this one, I should know better, "su to root" means that you enter the command 'su' which switches you to super user. If you have a root password, you will be asked for it.

5. ' service dm stop' 'service' tells the shell you want to do something to a service, 'dm' is the name of the service you want to mess with, and 'stop' is what you want to do to it. So, entering 'service dm stop' will stop the service called dm. dm is the Desktop Management service and in mandrake, it is what starts X for you, and launches your window manager, be it kde or gnome or whatever you use. When you stop dm, everything that dm started also stops and so on. It's the easiest way to kill everything graphical all at once.

6. okay

7. Yes, you are correct. Executables are run one of two ways. let's say you changed the name as i suggested twice now to NVIDIA6106.run To run that file as a general rule, you could either enter './NVIDIA6106.run' or 'sh NVIDIA6106.run' sh always works, ./ only works if the file has executable permissions. In general, you will need to use sh for the nvidia installer. Options of the format -a would be used as such 'sh NVIDIA6106.run -a' if you want to stack up multiple options, you would do it like this, 'sh NVIDIA6106.run -aneqkp' Or whatever you wanted to do. These options are specific to the program you are executing, so adding -a to something other than the nvidia installer might have some nasty effects. Just so you know, with the nvidia isntaller, -a will skip the liscense agreement and -n will force it to compile froms scratch. -e is expert and I'm guessing you shouldn't use it.

8. I don't use mc so I'm not sure. It will only work if it's non-graphical. If it is something that uses X, it won't work because X won't be running. Also, you should elarn vi. I only know 7 vi commands and I never need anything else, and here they are:

if you want to be able to type, you need to got to the insert text mode. You can press 'i' or 'Insert' doesn't matter. Once you've done that, the insert key switches back and forth between insert and overwrite as normal.

to quit typing hit 'esc'

to enter commands, hit the ':' that's colon, NOT semi-colon

to save or "write" the file, use 'w'

to quit once you've saved, use 'q'

to quit without saving, use 'q!'

to save and quite all at once, use 'wq'

9. Notice, this one is differnt, now it's service dm S-T-A-R-T, before it was service dm S-T-O-P. So what that command tells the shell, is that you are going to muck about with a service, it's the service called 'dm' and you want to start it. The other 'service' command I know of is restart. It stops it and then starts it again. So, when you enter the command, 'service dm start' it will launch the dm service, which will start X for you, and, launch your choice of window managers and either laog you in automaticaly or bring you to a graphical log-in depending on how many users your computer has and how you have it set up.

Edited by VeeDubb