Smbmount3 doesnt follows symlinks in MDK10 CE

Guest bahadir

Guest bahadir

Hi.

After upgrading a working MDK 9.2 Download Edition Workstation, to MDK 10 CE, smbmnt(3) isn't able to follows symlinks in shares:

The samba server is a 2.2.7a on SusE 8.2 ; during and after upgrading the MDK 10 Workstation, no changes where made to the samba server.

mounting is done during booting with following line in /etc/fstab

\\samba\share /mountpoint smbfs user,username=user,dmask=770,uid=501,fmask=660,gid=501,password=xxx 0 0

on the samba server /share contains two directories.

first one is an regular directory:

directory1

second one is a symlink.

directory2 > /unsharedserverfolder/directory2

on the workstation the mounted directory contains these two directories also.

but while directory1 appears like a regular, browsable, writeable etc. directory, directory2 appears like a broken symbolic link, pointing to /unsharedserverfolder/directory2

other clients with MDK 9.1/9.2 WinXP and for Testing one Knoppix 3.x are all able to work with

/mountpoint/directory2.

I hope, somebody can give me a hint to solve this problem.

bahadir

• 1 month later...

Any luck with this problem? I have exactly the same problem on a Mdk 9.2-10.0 Official upgrade. I'm talking to a Samba 3.0.2a server. One thing I've observed is that if I connect to the share with smbclient I can access the symlinked directory correctly-- it seems to be a bug (or a feature) in smbmount. What kernel are you using? I'm using 2.6.3-15mdk.

R

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jamie.s

I'm just guessing here, but because I have a samba server with symbolic links everywhere which work fine I'll give it a shot.

You need to remember who is accessing the share remotely. If you are accessing as an authenticated user, make sure that you would have permissions to read the directory if you were physically on the machine. For example, if the directory /unsharedserverfolder/directory2 is owned by alice, group alice, and has permissions 770, then unless you are authenticating remotely as alice, or as part of group alice, samba won't let you access the share.

If you are not authenticating at all (logging in as guest), the directory must have permissions 777 for you to access it. If you don't want to authenticate, but want to access it and don't want to change the permissions, then add the lines

force user = alice

force group = alice

to your share description in smb.conf and you should be able to access it.

Hope this helps

J

Hi.

After upgrading a working MDK 9.2 Download Edition Workstation, to MDK 10 CE, smbmnt(3) isn't able to follows symlinks in shares: 

The samba server is a 2.2.7a on SusE 8.2 ; during and after upgrading the MDK 10 Workstation, no changes where made to the samba server. 

mounting is done during booting with following line in /etc/fstab

\\samba\share  /mountpoint smbfs user,username=user,dmask=770,uid=501,fmask=660,gid=501,password=xxx 0 0

on the samba server /share contains two directories.

first one is an regular directory: 

directory1

second one is a symlink. 

directory2 > /unsharedserverfolder/directory2

on the workstation the mounted directory contains these two directories also.

but while directory1 appears like a regular, browsable, writeable etc. directory, directory2 appears like a broken symbolic link, pointing to /unsharedserverfolder/directory2

Please check if unix extensions are enabled on the samba server. If they are, you may want to try turning them off, otherwise you need an updated samba package which allows smbmount to disable unix extensions (this is an upstream bug).

I will upload packages shortly to 10.0 community that have the patch needed to disable unix extensions.

I am not sure why Knoppix works - maybe they have an old version of smbfs which doesn't know anything about unix extensions ...

• 3 weeks later...
Any luck with this problem?  I have exactly the same problem on a Mdk 9.2-10.0 Official upgrade.  I'm talking to a Samba 3.0.2a server.  One thing I've observed is that if I connect to the share with smbclient I can access the symlinked directory correctly-- it seems to be a bug (or a feature) in smbmount.  What kernel are you using? I'm using 2.6.3-15mdk.

R

Hi Simra;

I could not find any solution so I downgrade the packages on my MDK10 to 2.2.8a. )-;

It seems to be a kernel-problem, I'm using 2.6.3-15mdk too.

Hi Ranger,

Please check if unix extensions are enabled on the samba server. If they are, you may want to try turning them off, otherwise you need an updated samba package which allows smbmount to disable unix extensions (this is an upstream bug).

the unix extension was enabled; curiosly, the man-pages says

are of  no  current  use  to  Windows clients
. No idea why the XP workstations had no problems
I will upload packages shortly to 10.0 community that have the patch needed to disable unix extensions.

My "fast solution" was to downgrade samba on my workstation to 2.2.8a *shame on me

I am not sure why Knoppix works - maybe they have an old version of smbfs which doesn't know anything about unix extensions ...

I'm not sure, too. I was on a "trial and error" trip to solve my problem; Neverthenless, thx for your hint; I will update my workstation to 10.1 next month. Then I'll try samba3x again....

bahadir