forte for Java

Guest silverskin

Guest silverskin

I'm just trying to get the hang of the forte ide. I'm used to using codewarrior but can't afford to buy it to run on my home computer.

There are a few things that are confusing me:

a) I seem to be able to delete java files in the ide but not projects. What am I supposed to do with all the projects I don't want? At the moment I have a list of empty projects that I can't get rid of.

B) Why do I have to declare "package a_package;" at the top of every class I write. I never have to do this in codewarrior.

c) I create a new empty project. I try to add a new class to that project. I choose "empty class" and click next. I name the class and try to create a new package to put it in, but nothing I type is excepted.

Why can't things ever "just work".

Yes

Use netbeans.

I have used a lot of IDEs (Visual Studio, Visual Age, Eclipse, Forte, Netbeans)and a lot of advanced text editors (VI, emacs, Textpad, jEdit) and there is no better way to develop Java apps than Netbeans.

If it had a WYSIWYG HTML/JSP editor, it would be perfect.

Every day I fall in love with it a little more. I tear up just thinking about it :D

Next to it, I'd say jEdit (with a bunch of plugins installed and configured) is pretty nice, but really not even close to Netbeans.

Take the time and learn how to use it. You wont be sorry.

Guest silverskin

hmmmm...

Just did a search for netbeans on google and it looks EXACTLY the same as forte. That doesn't give me a lot of confidence. Think I'll still give it a try though.

Guest silverskin

I would try jbuilder but $400 is a bit steep when there are free IDEs about that can achieve the same thing. I did like coding in borland pascal though, so I'd like to try it if it wasn't so expensive.

I think I remember looking up code warrior when I first started my uni course, I think that cost about $600-$700. I don't understand why anyone would pay that much. I have just downloaded jCreator for free (for windows) and that seems great so far, even better than code warrior in my opinion. I'm yet to try netbeans but I will get round to it eventually.