grip - need tips

null

I used grip for the first time ever. Ripped a few songs to ogg. I think I entered 200 as the quality.

When I listen to the songs with xmms, it displays from around 112KBPS to around 150KBPS for the quality, averaging around 125 or so... :unsure:

What did the "200" I entered actually do ? I'm used to ripping (mp3s) with CDex, in winblows, and selecting, say 256, and the songs are then 256 - not 125 or 150 or whatever...

Edited by null

Well.. I don't see any setting for "quality" in grip. Maybe you mean bitrate?

As for the changing bitrate, IIRC ogg is VBR (Variable Bit Rate) by nature. That means, the bitrate will change depending on the section of the music being played. If a section is a silent or one instrument playing, it will use the lower bitrate while a section with full orchestra sounds will use higher bitrate. This has an effect of lowering the space needed for storage, but it requires higher processing power to encode and decode.

Anyway, try putting the bitrate as something that is more "computer like number" like 128, 160, 192, etc.

Anyway, try putting the bitrate as something that is more "computer like number" like 128, 160, 192, etc.

lol - I also thought "200" was a strange bitrate to enter. Actually, I was looking at a grip heip article I found on the web somewhere, or maybe it was in grip's help, and the example showed "200' in the bitrate setting. I thought, why not 192 or 256 ?

That brings up another point. Yes, I notice that most sites say that grip encodes ogg in VBR, but every site I went to said you can enter a max bitrate and a min bitrate. That is what I am used to when I rip CDs with CDex with VBR on my winblows machine. However, when in grip I can NOT see any option for min & max bitrates... :unsure:

The CD I just ripped & burned a little while ago (my second one) I decided to select Rip Only, so that it would just rip into .wav files. I burned with k3b, and it seems fine. That burns up alot of space on your HD though, so I'd like to play around with ogg a lilttle more.

I noticed the default encoder, even with ogg, when you first use grip is Lame. I used that the first time. Next time I rip into oggs I think I'll try oggenc.

here is what grip has for the Encoder Command Line, under the Encode tab:

-o %m -a %a -l %d -t %n -N %t -G %G -d %y -q 4 %w

Under the Encode / Options tab, I have 256 as the bitrate. Now, according to grip's help about command lines and switches, it says that your bitrate is passed to the encoder by the %b switch.

I don't see a %b switch in the above command line... :unsure: and when I put one in, and tried out ripping & encoding a CD, grip went thru the rip process, but did not do any encoding. I just had a blank folder.

How do you tell grip to encode at a certain bitrate, and what's the point of grip allowing you to enter a bitrate when it doesn't even pass it to the encoder... ??

this thread sure did die quickly... :sad:

latest development: grip just doesn't even rip anymore. Even if I just say "Rip Only" which should quickly rip into .wav files, it doesn't work right. It DOES look like it is ripping... and I DO have .wav files on my hard drive after it finishes, but if I try to play them with xmms, it is just a click, then silence, although xmms looks like it is playing normally...

So I wonder if grip is really ripping into .wavs correctly, or if xmms just isn't playing them for some reason... xmms does play the songs I ripped with grip a few days ago (when it was working good).

Its just that now, I can't rip anything that plays. Note: I also tried ripping into .wavs with k3b - same result - looks like it is ripping, and I get a .wav file on my hard drive, but it won't play.

I can't figure out how I could possibly mess up the ripping capability... In between the time when grip ripped good, and when it quit working, all I did was to yum install mysql and then tried to do a startup script to get the sql server running. There's a thread about this in Other Linux Distributions (that also died quickly)

anyway, any pointers about what wrong with my ripping ? It worked great the first few times I used grip to rip some CDs, now it just doesn't do it anymore.

Last night I logged on to gnome under root, and tried out ripping with grip. Since I was root, the settings & configs were still the same as when FC2 was originally installed. It worked fine.

someone else asked me (since I am using yum) when was the last time I ran yum update, and yum upgrade. I'm not sure when, but it was probably a couple weeks ago. I think I added a yum repository to yum.conf last week, and did a yum install mplayer.

Guess I should do yum update, and then yum upgrade later when I get home.

just got through with a yum update, and now grip once again grips. I did a Rip Only to a wav file and it worked fine, then I tried a Rip & Encode to an ogg file and it also worked great.

easy to break, luckily easy to fix