Speedtouch USB and Mandrake 10

JClosed

Does anyone how to get my Alcatel speedtouch USB modem to work under Mandrake 10 Official?

It worked fine under 9.2 and sill worked fine when i upgraded to the community version. After that i decided to do a fresh install with the latest version.

After a lot of pain to get the NVIDA drivers to work (noapic in LiLo params solved that problem) i was faced with a new problem. When i try to install the USB modem i get a warning "Sorry we don't support kernels lower than 2.4". Hey - this is a Mandrake 10 distro, the used kernel is in fact higer than 2.4!!!!

Well - i proceeded with the rest of the setup and copied the mgmnt.o code to the right place, as i was used to do with 9.2. After manually starting up the connection (/usr/share/speedtouch/speedtouch.sh start) all i got is a failed status. I removed the connection and re-installed again. No luck :wall:

Can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong? I used the same procedure as under 9.2 and (i think) the community version. Is this a error in the Official version of Mandrake 10? I would like to be able to use my internet-connection (and no - i have no money at this moment to buy a ethernet DSL modem).

Welcome to the board. :)

Support for speedtouch is in the kernel for mandrake 10.0, but there are updates required to get it working properly, apparently. If you're not in a position to get the updates, you can make the changes manually by removing references to 'speedtch' in /etc/modules.conf and /etc/modprobe.conf.

I can't confirm that this works as I'm still on 9.1.

As you had it working for 9.2, you are presumably aware of the problem with the shorewall configuration, which is still present, I believe. :unsure:

Well - it all seems to boil down to a crappy RPM.

I noticed the RPM on disk 1 was: speedtouch-1.2-2.beta3.2mdk.i586.rpm.

On the comunnity disk the RPM was: speedtouch-1.2-1mdk.i586.rpm.

After removing the first package with rpm -e and installing the second package everything just worked fine. I'm on line again. I got these disks to play with for a few days, just to see if Mandrake 10 is suitable enough to buy the powerpack edition. I hope this version i'm using now is not the final version and these mistakes are corrected in the "powerpack". Has anyone such a package and is willing to look wat's the version number of the RPM on it?

If i do not encounter any problems with my other divices, my impression is moderated positive. It's just a bit dissapointing there are problems with the NVIDIA and Speedtouch devices. Also the default sound drivers are wrong, but that's easy corrected during install. Altough i have found a workaround for both first problems, it was a struggele to get them working without any clue wat was wrong.

Anyway - i am still pleased with Mandrake 10. :D