Anybody running Firefox 0.9?--Solution attached

rockybalboa

I have tried for two days to install FF 0.9. I have used both versions (installer and non). All I usually get is a non executable mess. I have followed all the info I can find on this. But most of it is not tailored to MDK. I was just looking to compare notes with anyone else who may have had install problems. I may try again later and will post specifics if I can record any of them. I'm quite sure it's all FFs problem because the rest of my system continues to run without problems.

Thanks

DW

P.S. I forgot to ask my first question. The install suggests running the browser for the first time as root. My problem is that the browser launches automatically as part of the install routine. If I install as root, no matter how I change the permissions it will never launch from one of the user accounts.

Edited by rockybalboa

Hi rockybalboa,

I didn't use the installer, but it's working for me, here. What I did was:

a) decompress the archive.

B) copy the directory (firefox) to /usr/local/lib/firefox

c) copy the file "firefox" in said directory to /usr/bin/firefox

d) start firefox as root by typing "firefox" in the console

e) then the same thing for the user. That was that.

What exactly are your problems, apart from the installer not working cleanly?

-Sascha.rb

Edited by nggalai

Found my solution!

I finally got the installer to work. I installed it to one of my user account directories. While installing I got the following errors (I have a few guesses what they mean, but they are "rough" guesses so I won't post them) anyway here are the errors

firefox installer: line 56: 4426 segmentation fault ./${BINNAME}-b $@

At this point I deleted all the related directories and started over again. The next attempt ran without giving up the error.

During the second try I got the following errors (I noted and ignored them because the installation continued to run):

**(firefox-installer-bin:4488):WARNING**:Invalid UTF8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()
**(firefox-installer-bin:4488):WARNING**:Invalid UTF8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()
-----the above repeated for about 12 lines-------------
***eeeeee =[Exception..."Component returned failure code: "0x80520006(NS_ERROR_FILE_TARGET_DOES_NOT_EXIST) [nsIFile.remove]" nsresult: "0x80520006(NS_ERROR_FILE_TARGET_DOES_NOT_EXIST)" location: "JS frame::file:///home(my user filepath)/firefox-installer/components/nsExtendionManager.js::ensureExtensionFiles:: line 245" data:no]

***loading the extensions data source
***loading the extensions data source

In the end I wound up with a running version of FF 0.9. I followed the mozilla.org instructions to the letter.

All I can say at this point is that it launches fine from my user account. I haven't tried to do any configuration to it yet. But I'll close this post since I got the install problem fixed.

Nothing against the Moz forums, but I couldn't find any of this info in the forums. I will post it there next.

Thanks for reading and advising

DW