Installing new kernel(s)

Just in case anyone's experienced some of the minor snag's that I've been having today.

My system is running mandrake 10 official from a "boxed set" powerpack dvd.

When I first installed, it ran kernel version 2.6.3-7 but being conscientious, I check regularly for any updates.

Quite soon afterward's, I noticed that kernel 2.6.3-13mdk was available (well actually I spotted the kernel-sources 2.6.3013mdk that appeared in the updates).

So, figuring that there must be a reason for the update, I went ahead and installed the updated version. It was eventful, but not too serious - all is explained in this thread.

Anyhow, this morning, I noticed that there was an update available again (2.6.3-14mdk). So I downloaded it, then, because I have an nvidia based graphic's card, I got the 2.6.3-14 kernel sources.

Now for reason's that I don't understand, the kernel just didn't want to install, even though the mcc>rpmdrake>rpmdrake+ facility kept telling me that everything had installed ok (previously when I've done this, I've just installed the kernel, followed by the kernel-sources and then booted it, opened a terminal, su'd to root, gone to an init 3 login, and re-run the nvidia driver to install it with the new kernel version.

Whereas today, I've had to install and remove the kernel about 6 or 7 times before it's installed. I actually had to log into root and delete the 2.6.3-13 directory from /usr/src just incase it was causing a conflict for reason's that I don't understand.

Anyway, by changing my urpmi sources a couple of times, and then repeating the removal and install it seem's to have installed ok. The nvidia driver install for 2.6.3-14mdk seems to have gone OK so the system seems it's running ok again.

I haven't got a clue as to why this is happening, but thought it may be helpful to someone if they've been having these type of minor problem's.

regards

John

p.s. My lilo.conf still show's entries for "linux" and 263-14 (which I'll change later), but for reason's that I don't understand the "linux" entry still boot's the system into the original 2.6.3-7mdk kernel even though it doesn't seem to have a directory in the /usr/src location - plus I never had to install the 2.6.3-7 kernel sources as the nvidia drive is already compiled/installed with the dvd powerpack.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]