Error Reading NAV Packet

OK,

Loving Mandrake, have tweaked all the Problems out. Except one: DVD playback is ridiculous

Man10 Official came with Totem Movie Player... Works fine with AVI, MPG, etc...

DVD's, shows the FBI warning, then "ERROR READING NAV PACKET" Check your permissions...

I added MPlayer, same thing

I added Xine, same thing! I tried all three as root, same thing!

What the hell Mandrake??

[edit by spinynorman to remove excessive capital letters - we're not DEAF! :) ]

I got it figured out... We were overcomplicating the problem... The DVD players on Mandrake are not setup to play Regionally encoded DVDs... only homemade ones... You need an RPM package to add to your OS... It is libdvdcss2.rpm...

Get it here:

LIBDVDCSS2

The above link is an installer, so let it install on your linux OS... RESTART, then try your DVDs again...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU

Since I helped and you guys need help (Like I do) I have a windows/linux forum here: AXIS-PC Windows/Linux Forum

Thanks,

BanjoTEKE

http://forum.axis-pc.com

Lafayette, Louisiana

I got it figured out... We were overcomplicating the problem... The DVD players on Mandrake are not setup to play Regionally encoded DVDs... only homemade ones... You need an RPM package to add to your OS... It is libdvdcss2.rpm...

Get it here:

LIBDVDCSS2

The above link is an installer, so let it install on your linux OS... RESTART, then try your DVDs again...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU

Since I helped and you guys need help (Like I do) I have a windows/linux forum here: AXIS-PC Windows/Linux Forum

Thanks,

BanjoTEKE

http://forum.axis-pc.com

Lafayette, Louisiana

restart is not required.

• 5 months later...

I am a linux "newbie" some might say. I run amd64 3000, and spent several hours (days even) trying to get my dam dvd player to work. I really wanted to start using linux permanently, but without dvd movies on my pc well ..... I run mandrake 10. I finally figured out how to get it to work. I had downloaded xine all the xine options from my auto update feature (just basic xine stuff). I then installed 2 rpms from the ogle website which made all the difference (at least one did?). libdvdcss for x_86 from the "freshrpm" link. Next, libdvdread x_86 from the "freshrpm" link. After installing both of these my "Matrix" movie came to life. The exact names were libdvdcss-1.2.8-4.1.fc3.fr.x86_64.rpm, libdvdread-0.9.4-5.1.fc3.fr.x86_64.rpm. These plugins are currently not included in the dvd software packages due to current legal debates. I honestly hope this helps someone. Long live linux.

For those of you that are new to linux, all commercial dvds have a weak encryption. The files needed to decrypt commercial dvds are only made and licensed for windows. Several years ago, the encryption was cracked and a library for decrypting commercial dvds under lunux was released on the internet and is called "libdvdcss". This allows you to play the commercial dvds you bought and paid for under linux. For legal reasons, almost all linux distros do not include libdvdcss even though it has been, and continues to be, widely distributed on the internet.

There is a website that all mandrake users should be aware of called penguin liberation front(plf). The folks at plf do a tremendous service by making mandrake rpms for libdvdcss and many other such packages that mandrake can't include for legal reasons. See their website:

http://plf.zarb.org/

They also maintain a website called easy urpmi which walks you through how to set up internet rpm repositories as sources:

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

Most experienced mandrake users set up a "plf" and a "contrib" internet rpm source using the above website. If your using a download edition, you should also set up a "main" source as the three cd download edition doesn't include everything that the purchased edition does.

It's definitely recommended to use PLF RPMs, not random ones found on other sites. PLF RPMs are built on proper Mandrake buildhosts and are thus guaranteed to work properly with Mandrake systems. Plus there's lots of other goodies in plf - check out the win32-codecs package, for starters :)