Tv Time Config & Floppy Issues

Guest mrscoobs

Guest mrscoobs

:unsure: Hello I have another noob question. Actually 2. Just switched from MS$ and I am learning as I go. Just went cold turkey. First, I awhile back I seen a post regarding TV Time working correctly without having to scan channels each time it is opened but... I can't find it for the life of it.

Anway, what I need is some help configuring TV card and/or TV Time. When I open up TV Time I have to go into "Configure Computer" sign in as root and then rescan for channels. This only happens when I start computer and open the program. So it is not loading...? When computer is starting up...? I am running Mandrake 10 O. My card is the BT878. In my hardware listing I show the Tvcard as BT878. And I also show under "Other Multimedia Devices" also a BT878. Not sure why double cards?

Question 2. I am having a problem gaining access to my floppy drive. I can see it in /mnt/floppy. When I try and write to the drive I get an access denied... and more error message. I went hrough and thought I had changed permissions. This is my /etc/fstab file. I added the line /dev/fd0 /mnt/... line. After doing this I get an access denied.

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0022,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0022,user,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,users,rw,uid=501,gid=501,fmask=777,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/hd supermount dev=/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850 0 0

http://www.computerworkscentral.com /mnt/http davfs defaults 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0022,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

Of course I'm a noob an trying various things. So if someone could help me out please.

Thanks,

{moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome to the board :) ]

Anway, what I need is some help configuring TV card and/or TV Time. When I open up TV Time I have to go into "Configure Computer" sign in as root and then rescan for channels. This only happens when I start computer and open the program. So it is not loading...? When computer is starting up...? I am running Mandrake 10 O.

I had the same problem, fixed it by editing (as root, of course) /etc/modprobe.preload and adding 'bttv' on an empty line.

Save the file and next time you restart tvtime will start fine. :thumbs:

Question 2. I am having a problem gaining access to my floppy drive. I can see it in /mnt/floppy. When I try and write to the drive I get an access denied... and more error message.

Are you sure the disk itself is not write-protected ?? :jester:

Guest mrscoobs

:P The Tv Time config sounds exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. I will do this as soon as I return to town. On a little mini vacation.

As far as the Floppy. No it is not write protected. I have tried various other lines in my /etc/fstab file and just can't quite get it to work. I have been able to see the contents of the floppy and then again I can't depending on what changes to the /etc/fstab file I make.

Scratchin my head. I have two other machines that I have the same problem with, bot run M10CE. Thanks for your help.

John