PS2 Mouse Not Recognized

Guest chemikalguy

Guest chemikalguy

I'm experiencing a strange problem. I was running Mandrake 9.2, and then upgraded to the 'unofficial' verison of 10 before the official was released. Everything was working fine until my wife unplugged my standard 2 button PS2 mouse one day and I came in later and booted up. The system freaked out without the mouse there, and after I shut down and plugged it back in wouldn't recognize the mouse no matter what I tried.

So, I reformatted the drive and tried to reinstall, but to no avail it still doesn't see the (PS2) mouse. For my own self-gratification, I put in the 9.2 CD and it recognizes it fine. So I reinstalled 9.2 and have been running that now for about three weeks. Last night, I tried to upgrade to the official version of Mandrake 10, but it won't recognize the mouse during installation.

Does anyone have any idea why 9.2 would see my mouse but not even the installer for 10 would? By the way, don't get too technical on me, as I'm a new Linux user.

I'm running a ASUS A7V8X mobo with a 1.5GHz processor, 256MB RAM, ATI Radeon Video Card, and a Soundblaster Live Audio card if that helps.

PS. I'm running a dual boot system with Windows, which recognizes everything fine.

Edited by chemikalguy

Try resetting the BIOS first. Also make sure you have the thing plugged in right. Try the mouse in another computer. Maybe it was not unplugged in a "gentle" way. Maybe she tripped over it or hit the plug hard or something anything.

Also, for inexplicable reasons, I had trouble with the new "universal" mouse driver that was new in 10. Try using the old generic ps/2 driver.