Cannot login as user

:wall:

I have got myself into a mess.

I am running 9.2 with KDE.

From KDE I entered ctrl-altF1 t o go to the text terminal. The problem was I could not work out how to get back to KDE from the terminal so I re-booted.

Mandrake came up with the text screen again. I couild not login as user but was able to login as root. I entered KDE and got into the GUI as root.

When I went to K menu -> Logout I was given only two options Logout and Cancel. I could not log in as user.

I went to the Control Center and checked that my user still existed. I Also check the home directory and all my fles are stil accessible. I had no trouble running Firefox, importing my bookmarks and logging on to the net.

I suspect that the solution is simple; probably exiting from the text terminal correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

ctrl+alt+F7 would have taken you back to the GUI, for future reference.

login to KDE as root again, and go into Mandrake Control Center -> System -> Services and look for "dm" and make sure it's set to "on boot"

Also go into MCC -> System (or hardware, depending on your version) -> Display Manager and select one of them and click any boxes you see regarding "on boot" (but not any auto-login stuff, unless you want that). I think this should fix your problem.

I went to e control center -> system -> services. dm was not running and boot was not enabled so I clicked it.

I went to system -> Display Manager. KDE was selected. There were no "on boot" or any other boxes.

I logged out and re-booted. It has not fixed the problem.

From the terminal screen I tried ctr+alt+f7 and went to a blank screen with the cirsron at the top left.

to quote a previous post of mine (in a different thread):

aight, here we go...

Mandrake Control Center -> Boot -> Autologin

check the "Launch your graphical environment when your system starts" box, and if you don't want to automitically login then obviously select that radio button.

try that route.