problems with adsl configuration

Guest Sills

Guest Sills

ok. here my problem.

i have mandrake 10 ce installed.

i want to connect to my internet which is pppoe adsl. i go to the configuration panel thingy and stuff and enter my account name, password, and service provider. when i go into moniter connections, it doesnt connect. it trys to, but it doesnt. i spent 1/2 an hour working on this. i dont get why it wont connect. windoze does, suse does, mepis does, but mandrake will not.

can anyone help me?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Guest Sills

i've disabled all the firewalls and such.

when i try to moniter the connection i hit cnnect or whatever and it cays " connecting"

it shows bytes being sent and recieved and such but it just gives me the same old error. "could not establish a connection, check your config / settings" - something like that.

my modem is just a generic old modem that hooks up through an ethernet cable. its an adsl using pppoe but it still doesnt work.

i think i might have to download the rest of suse and use it again, because even Linspire could connect to it and that distros just poor.

Guest Sills

i teid alot again yesterday trying to get it working but it still doesnt like me.

i've seen similar problems on other forums but no one got it fixed.

anyone know anything about this?

First, you must be sure that your network card is working OK. As root, do an ifconfig eth0 an you should get a few lines of messages, including one with an IP number.

You can try to run adsl-setup from the console and then do adsl-start or adsl-stop to fire it up or kill it.

Once it's set up, ping www.google.com to test your connection.

The rp-pppoe package also has a gui that you can use.

Edited by somedude