Need help: installing without CD or floppy

PurpleGuitar

Greetings

I have a laptop computer with a broken CDRom drive and no floppy drive. It has Mandrake 9.1 on it now, but I want to upgrade it to 10.0. All the instructions I have seen for installing a new system involve booting either from CD or from floppy, but I can't do either. How can I install a new Mandrake system over an existing one? (I have previously used network installs, and I'm familiar with those, but I don't know how to start one without a boot floppy.)

Thanks!

I have a laptop computer with a broken CDRom drive and no floppy drive. It has Mandrake 9.1 on it now, but I want to upgrade it to 10.0. All the instructions I have seen for installing a new system involve booting either from CD or from floppy, but I can't do either. How can I install a new Mandrake system over an existing one? (I have previously used network installs, and I'm familiar with those, but I don't know how to start one without a boot floppy.)

Do a live update, but be sure not to fux0r anything vital up, because otherwise you're stuck. (Includes: Kernel, Glibc, Internet connection programs like ppp, if applies).

It works the following way:

In whatever install frontend your distro uses, choose the new '10.0' tree as installation source, then go into the package selection dialogs and choose all packages for reinstall.

That's at least the way it works with SuSE. Of course, there is also a way for the real pedantic ones. It's less comfortable but provides maximum safeguard:

Download the necessary RPMs (or whatever appropriate) and install them by hand:

rpm -Uhv xxx.rpm

If it requires additional packages, add their filenames together with xxx on the command line. That way, you can only fsck up one part at a time. (Well, not always).

Because some of the new packages require other packages or dropped dependencies, one might need to use the --nodeps flag (rpm), but don't wonder if afterwards an application doesnot work.