problems updating autoconf

Guest SDMF

I was trying to update my version of autoconf and automake, so that I could compile the CVS of enlightenment 17, and I am running into some problems. Tried updating automake, like it said, and it told me that I needed to update autoconf to at least version 2.54. So I got 2.54, compiled and installed it, and then I went to compile automake, and it told me that my version was still not updated to 2.54. I ran autoconf --version, and sure enough it still tells me that I have version 2.13. I tried installing autoconf 2.54 again, and it's stil not showing up. The man pages show version 2.54, but autoconf --version still shows version 2.13 and I cannot compile automake. Is there something else that I have to do to make the installation of autoconf take effect, or some symlink I have to repoint?

well, it worked. duh.

I had the same problem with automake, so I uninstalled it, and then after compiling and installing the new version, I get an error saying that automake does not exist.