eth0 stalls for 1 minute while booting

santner

How can I disable the initialization of eht0 when booting. I don't have a broadband connection so it will always fail anyway, and since I have compiled the 2.6.6 kernel this is the only annoyance, it will stall for almost an entire minute before it fails to initialize. Does anyone know where the code is at to comment this initialization out? :P :D

Mandrake Control Center -> System -> Services

find Network, click the button beside "On Boot" so that it's deselected. You should be good to go.

(I suggest this over editing config files manually simply because sometimes Mandrake will reset files to what -it- thinks they should be - which is part of some of it's security features - to keep files from being changed when they shouldn't be.)

if you want a word for iffy, "inconsistent" would be the closest word in english.  sorry, i really need to get out of the habit of using slang on the board :lol:

No, please don't change anything: that's the way I like it :thumbs:

iffy = sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Well it works like a charm, but I found a problem in doing so. KMAIL(bundled inside of kontact) locks up completely when trying to send an email. Very strange problem. If I started to type an email address in the 'TO' field, it would lock completely and I would have to kill the process. Puzzled me for a while, then I changed the option back to 'on boot' for network, rebooted and the problem went away. :thumbs:

It seems like there is some sort of time-out mechanism. Like I said earlier, it stalls for about one minute before it fails. Is there some kind of code that I could modify to change this?

not starting networking is iffy.....

the problem is as a minimumk you need loopback and other services are dependant upon this.....

gnome and kde desktops also need networking or they will stall all the time.

as tyme says the annoying security crap puts these back if you edit them the wrong way... and hotplug can be iffy(iffy-a=ale'atoire b=louche :D)

the best way is probably to just to disable eth0 .but activate it by a script .. which is basically ifconfig eth0 dhcp

(I need to check the syntax)

make sure you have a hostname on boot, as well otherwise things will be unpredictable ....

alternatively try

ifup lo0

just to bring back loopback

test you have a hostname (by typing hostname)

So from your response, I got this:

#!/bin/bash

ifconfig eth0 dhcp

put this in ~.kde/Autostart/ and also type hostname in the cli to make sure that I have a hostname assigned. What I didn't get was how to disable eth0 on bootup. Could you be more specific :help: