Dissapearing CD-ROM but not Floppy

titous09

on my desktop i always have a mounted floppy drive. it suddenly apperead once i installed a new floppy. it stays on my desktop even when there is no disk in it. when i put a cdrom in my drive, a cdrom icon will show up and it works fine. how can i set it so that i always have a cdrom icon on my desktop and when i put a cdrom in, it doesn't create a new cdrom icon?

Mandrake 10 uses two different automounters for removable media, magicdev for cd drives and supermount for floppy drives. When magicdev is working properly, as soon as you put in a data cd in your drive, an icon should apear on your desktop and the cd is automatically mounted. You can access the cd by clicking on the drive icon. After you close konqueror and eject the cd, the drive is automatically unmounted, the cd is ejected and the drive icon vanishes. That's the way it's suppose to work. You can't create a working cd drive icon on your desktop if your using magic dev.

With a floppy drive working under supermount, a floppy drive icon is permanently on your desktop. Place a floppy in and it's automatically mounted and clicking on the drive icon opens konqueror displaying the drive contents. I've tried to get rid of that floppy icon by disabling supermount but it just won't go away. Haven't tried all that hard since it's working fine.

If you don't like the magicdev behaviour, you can disable it by uninstalling the magicdev package and creating mounting icons on your desktop to mount and unmount the cd drive but you'll probably have to edit fstab to get it to work right. Or, after removing magicdev, you can enable supermount on the cd drives which I believe will also allow you to create a cd drive icon. However, supermount on cd drives was always kind of buggy which is why mandrake sitched to magicdev.