new system - I already broke it

Didn't take me long to break my new system.

I d/l the nvidia driver, as usual, the newest one listed. Did the usual steps: change initdefault to runlevel 3, exit x and reboot, run the nvidia install (sh NVIDIA-blah-blah).

The nvidia installer told me "no precompiled kernel module found.." and it proceded to do whatever it wanted to do, and finished without any problems.

Then I get to the part where you edit your XF86Config file, except I don't see that one, so I instead edit xorg.conf. I deleted the Load "glx" line out of the Module Section, and changed "nv" to "nvidia" in the Display section. So far so good.

But when I then did startx, I just get a blank screen. :o

what did I do wrong, or maybe I can d/l an older driver instead...??

This is FC2, by the way, kernel 2.6.?

Edited by null

not sure about fedora but I'm pretty sure you don't want to deltel the load glx line. I mean, if you don't load glx, how do you expect it to work??

In mandrake the file is /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 most distros it's that minus the -4. not sure if you're using xorgs version of X though.

Anyway, start by replacing the glx line and trying again.

sorry for the confusion, I made a typo in the first post. I meant I deleted load "dri" out of the Modules section (as nvidia says to do). Load "glx" is STILL there, as it is supposed to be.

It must be something else.

I changed back to "nv" to get my X back. I'd like 3-D acceleration though.

Edited by null