Installing from source

alexpank

Phew, I'm hoping this isn't a really obvious question, but please be patient with me, i'm just a humble newbie.

I'm trying to install a Japanese IME with instructions from the Linux from Scratch project, and as part of that I've got to put on Imlib2. When I start compiling it as per instructions, I get a message saying that it can't find 'libttf.so'. I discovered that there is a 'libttf.so.2', and that it's part of an older version of the freetype package.

I've got a newer version of freetype, but I'm kinda worried about installing it in case it kills something else.

OK, now to the questions...

Firstly, is there some way of using the older libttf.so, instead of upgrading it?

Secondly, is upgrading libttf.so and/or freetype likely to kill something else, and can I prevent this?

Thx in advance,

Alex

EDIT: The version of freetype that's currently on my system is 2.1.9, and the new one is 2.2.5.

Edited by alexpank

When you use urpmi to install 'freetype' that will take care of the dependancies. So the chance that something will go wrong is (almost) non-existant. However, installing a newer version of 'freetype' (I believe they are in PLF) means most of the time that your fonts will be looking awfull.

As for not finding 'libttf.so', you could try linking (command: ln) to 'libttf.so.2'. If the libraries are not that dramatically changed it might still work.

Give it a try.

Thanks for the tips, devries, especially about the linking.

I tried doing this with RPMs and urpmi, but since I'm running Mdk 9.0, I have a bit of trouble finding RPMs that fit (lots of them need glibc 2.3, and I'm stuck with glibc 2.2).

I'll try leaving freetype as is and symlink the libraries, and post back.

Thx

OK, there's a reason that you shouldn't do stuff like this when you're tired.

I search the web, and found that Imlib2 was actually nothing to do with canna, FreeWnn or kinput2 (Japanese stuff), which was what I really wanted. It was to do with Eterm, which I didn't really want. As it turns out, urpmi worked fine for Eterm - I apologise for not listening to you in the first place, devries.

The moral of the story? When in doubt, check the Web before posting...

P.S. I've got canna and FreeWnn (conversion servers) working ok, now all I need to do is figure out kinput2 (front-end)