Mandrake 10 and Postfix

steward75

:help: Hey guys, just reinstalled my MDK 10 software and can't seem to get my Postfix server up and running. :-( I can receive email from the outside no problem through the server (i.e. @hotmail.com or @yahoo.com, etc..etc...) but cannot SEND to those addresses. The Syslog is reporting something about "relay denied for unknown host or something" PLEASE help. Thanks.

Most ISPs don't like you relaying mail through their servers - after all you might be a spammer for all they know...

This means they will only accept mail for the domain they are part of, not anybody elses.

Have you set a relayhost=your_isp_mail_server in /etc/postfix/main.cf?

I mainly use webmin to configure postfix.

You will probably need to enable cyrus-sasl authentication to the relayhost so that they know you are who you say you are - see:

http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/smtpauth/

I got it working for me, but I remember it being a bit of a struggle...

Chris

Okay I had my email server set up in such a way for 9.2 + 10 when I did an upgrade that I would send the email through my Linux Server and then that would pass it on to my ISP's email SMTP server without a problem.

The problem I'm having is residing on my Linux server not allowing me to send outside mail from a client on the network as opposed to sending the emial from the server itself (through Kmail or Evolution).

The problem is NOT with my ISP's SMTP server.

Any help appreciated

Have you tried connecting using "telnet your_server 25" - you may get a clue from your servers response.

Did RPM save your old config and install a new version, or the other way around (main.cfg.rpmnew) ? if you see what I mean....

Perhaps look at your firewall too?

Chris

:wall: Yeah I mean the SMTP server is active and all.

Okay lets say I use mozilla thunderbird to send and receive my mail on both my WinXP and Mandrake linux boxes. The server is actually located on the linux box. Both have the same exact settings (they both connect through blah.blahblah.org). The email server rejects sending mail when sent from the WinXP box, but does not reject sending mail when sent from the linux box.

Should I be checking hosts.allow? or something?

What I really meant was "please post the output of telnet <linuxbox> 25" from the windows box

Don't know your knowledge level here, so don't be offended, but you can actually send email using telnet, and the error messages may help.

Have a look here:

telnet session

There is a setting in /etc/postfix/main.cf - inet_interfaces which allows you to send mail on only those interfaces specified. The default is inet_interfaces = all, so you could check it is not changed. The main.cf file is well commented.

chris

Edited by streeter

Oh sorry, yeah didn't understand what you meant. LOL

Well I figured out the problem. For some odd reason, the MAndrake Postifx Server Wizard was not including the line in main.cf, "mynetworks = 192.168.1.1" which is my LAN's Internet Gateway.

That one line was causeing my headaches. Peoples, please keep that in mind. :-)

Thanks for all your help everyone. I post on this board and will continue to do so cause I know SOMEONE out there will help me with my questions. :-) :headbang: