Suse 9.1 Live Eval CD Boot Lockups - SOLVED

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had problems with the Suse 9.1 LiveEval CD. I've never been able to get it to work.

I have a couple of workstations that are presently running Suse 9.0. Both of these systems ran fine under Suse 9.0, regardless of whether I was running the 9.0 LiveEval CD or whether I ran a network install of Suse 9.0 from the FTP mirrors.

Interestingly, when Suse first introduced the 9.1 Live Eval CD, I tried using it and it just would not work on the two systems that successfully run both the 9.0 Live Eval CD and the 9.0 net install. Other members here have had the same problem.

While browsing the FTP mirrors I noticed a new version of the 9.1 Live Eval CD dated 5/5/04. Thinking that Suse had fixed the problem, I tried the new CD. No Dice.

Just like with the first one, the second version of the 9.1 Live Eval CD locks up during the boot cycle.

I'm just wondering if anyone else had has problems like this. For reasons that I just can't understand both versions of the 9.1 demo CD just won't work on my systems that happily run 9.0.

Is anyone else having this problem with the 9.1 Live Eval CD? If so, have you had any luck with the 9.1 network installation?

tia!

bob

Edited by Windependent

• 2 months later...

My version has same date...I got it as part of LinuxUser&developer Magazine...it almost works but hangs at pmcia probe when I try to set res to 800x600...I have not yet tried to determine whether it is just another big teezer as have been most disks received with that magazine...several years ago I paid $90 US for suze ver 6.1 or 6.2, but could not get X to recognize my Diamond (3 years old at the time) video card...SuSE still comes across as not quite ready ready for prime time, but seems to be getting better....I like the

user interface, but it does me no good when I must waste too much time, again, trying to find the magic words not mentioned in the docs...eg: shutdown is not discussed in help screens of the Live Eval CD...I eventually figured it out, it's simple, once you know the trick, but it was trial and error until I fingered it out...good luck...sneddondl@hotmail...reply not needed

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, sorry to dredge up an old topic but a couple of things I have noticed with the SUSE9.1 live eval CD (I got mine off the same Linux User & Developer Mag)

1) It simply will NOT boot up on anything with less than 256MB of RAM. PERIOD. I tried it on 5 systems, succeeded with teh 2 with 256, failed with everything else.

2) Unless you're trying it on a laptop with PCMCIA cards, it will hang on loading PCMCIA support. Solution: on boot, press F3 and change to VERBOSE mode. It will now boot

On my systems, with 500-700Mhz processors & 256Mb ram it runs pretty slow but it still gives you a look at YaST etc.

On a decent modern box with 1.5Ghz and 512Mb or better I'd say it would hum quite nicely.

I still prefer my 'Drake 9.0.

• 2 weeks later...

it could be that it has problems with your mainboard. some kernels do have problems e.g. with ASUS and Epia boards and simply refuse to boot on them. i think this was a problem with the first release of fedoracore2 (kernel 2.6.5).

it could be that it has problems with your mainboard. some kernels do have problems e.g. with ASUS and Epia boards and simply refuse to boot on them. i think this was a problem with the first release of fedoracore2 (kernel 2.6.5).

that's a great idea. unfortunately, i've run into the problem on all 3 of the different PCs i've tried it on -- one of which is a Dell business PC that's RedHat certified. as far as being a mainboard issue, its kinda funny that all 3 PCs that i tried it on came from different manufacturers and would run SuSE 9.0 Live CD without a hitch, but they all choked on Suse 9.1 Live CD. i have never figured that part out, so I'm just assuming that there was a bug in it.

this point has actually become moot -- the free sample of Suse 9.1 pro that i received in the Novell sample pack works fine. Go Figure. maybe they fixed something along the way.

Edited by Windependent