Phantom users & failed startup

kmc77

I recently had to shut my computer down (check connections to CD ROM). When I restarted everything booted fine, but when I got to the log in screen it had changed. In addition to the normal users (myself, my wife and a buddy thru ftp) there were about 23 other users listed. Now I know they aren't really users, but the following were listed as users:

adm, bin, caemon, games, halt, lp, mail, news, Nobody nobody, operator, root, shutdown, sync, system user for apache2, etc......

I'm thinking, "ok that's wierd". When I tried to log in with my information screen went blank then jumped back to login screen. So I purposely entered an incorrect password. It gave me an "incorrect username/password" error. Ok, so that tells me that it at least recognized my username and password, although it wouldn't start GNOME.

On this new log in screen there was an option for "console login" so when I tried that it accepted my username and password, then I started GNOME with "startx". Everything was fine. I tried changing my settings to "automatic login" but it still jumps to that wierd login screen.

As long as I log in thru console and use the startx command, everything is good, but I am confused about what has happened. I've got no problem doing it this way, but my wife is another story.

Can someone help me get my system back to the way it should be, and maybe shed some light on what has happened?

Edited by kmc77

sorry not at home now (Im in London) so a bit short of time.

the users are normal, its a part of normal security to have these users but I dont have time to explain.

The graphical login is controlled by the uid or number of the users and it sounds like the display manager login (dm) has been messed with.

The default one is mdk-kdm or close but kdm and gdm are other alterantives.

The easiest fix for now might be to change to kdm or gdm if your yusing gnome or kde ... then either leave it or switch back and let it reconfigure.

Its also possbile to fix this by hand but I dont have time right now....

(sorry) but maybe someone else will

/bump

That was it Gowator. I didn't have GDM, but I did have XDM. Somehow it got switched to KDM (don't know how, as I've never messed with that before). When I switched back to XDM, the familiar login screen came back and I was able to enter as normal. I appreciate your help. Extra credit for being away from home. :thumbs: Thanks again.