XFS startup timing issue?

texasaggie

I have an odd font problem that I think is timing-related but I can't pin it down.

When my Mandrake 9.0 machine starts up and I get to the kdm login screen, I usually end up with tiny, uncomprehensible fonts (I am presuming the nil font from browsing through all the fonts). If I keep restart the X server, it will eventually come back and my nice, clean anti-aliased fonts will show up. I initially presumed that this was a timing issue with kdm perhaps starting before xfs, but I can leave it on the login screen for 15 minutes and then try and it still may not work. Sometimes I restart the X server once and it works, sometimes 15 times.

Has anyone ever seen the same behavior? I have 2 other Mandrake 9.0 machines that I keep up to date and neither one of them has this issue. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the accelerated video driver for my card (Matrox G-400 Max) is somehow interfering?!?!

I have an odd font problem that I think is timing-related but I can't pin it down.

When my Mandrake 9.0 machine starts up and I get to the kdm login screen, I usually end up with tiny, uncomprehensible fonts (I am presuming the nil font from browsing through all the fonts).  If I keep restart the X server,  it will eventually come back and my nice, clean anti-aliased fonts will show up.  I initially presumed that this was a timing issue with kdm perhaps starting before xfs, but I can leave it on the login screen for 15 minutes and then try and it still may not work.  Sometimes I restart the X server once and it works, sometimes 15 times.

- xfs doesn't provide antialiased fonts. Period. They are provided by a separate mechanism, which is even configured differently.

- X in Mandrake configuration relies on xfs to get its fonts ( non-antialiased). So there could be no such thing as "kdm starting before xfs". X (and therefore KDM) just wouldn't start at all if xfs doesn't run. ( AFAIK ).