.ogg conversion

SoulSe

I'm looking for software that will do a big batch conversion from .mp3 -> .ogg

I have 4 gigs of .mp3 files that I want to convert to .ogg using a seperate command for each one will take me the rest of my life!

You mean issuing each command manually? But you shouldn't.

You may easily convert all of them by just one command. You need the command-line based convertor called mp32ogg - or whatever suits you better.

Let's suppose all your mp3 files are located under /home/your_user/mp3

Let's even suppose there are subdirectories within that.

The command will look the following in this case :

find /home/your_user/mp3 -iname "*.mp3" -exec  mp32ogg {};

It will nevertheless take some time, but you won't have to issue each command manually.

man find

This manpage will help you learn the options of the "find" command better.

chalex20's answer is the right technical answer. If you really want to do that, you just have to use the command he says.

But "musically" speaking, such a convertion is awfull (double-loss in quality: first with mp3, next with ogg). It would be best for you to re-create your ogg files from the original CD/wav.

Cool! Will that leave the mp3's there too or are they oblitherated by the conversion into oggs?

Also, where is the proper codec for ogg for windows so we can play them in both environments? I tried once to convert mp3's and they ended up being OK in linux and unreadable in windows..

Variable bitrates is a technic closely related to the way MP3 works (the aim is to reduce file size while keeping quality). Variable bitrates would make no sense for ogg files, because the technic is different. Ogg files are already the same quality (if not better) for a smaller size! MP3 and OGG use very different approaches to music compression.

I suggest you go to OGG's home to read about the technology.

Yves.

Variable bitrate is great (especially for my purposes) because it is based on the principle that if a section of the song is not very "busy" on the frequency side of things, it requires fewer bits per second then very busy part of the song that might require up to 320 kbps. This way every little piece of the song gets a kbps allocation that meets the requirements.

ogg does supply smaller files, but with constant compression ratios throughout, so as far as optimisation and quality versus size, it doesn't come close. My problem is with sacrifising quality for size, which is not necessary with variable bitrate mp3s.

Or perhaps I really don't understand?

:oops: It seems I was wrong, after all. Variable bitrates do apply to ogg also. But you were, too :P : Ogg already can do that, though not in streaming mode it seems.

Anyway, you might still be interested in that:

http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/listen.html

http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/

Yves.

I converted all of my mp3 to oggs on my windows machine, but then I was screwed a bit because Nero didnt handle ogg when making audio cds... so I had to convert them to wav before creating the disk. That was ass.

Now that I am 100% Linux, I use K3B for burning, which DOES handle ogg when making audio cds!

Just another reason to love Ogg, Linux, and K3B.

Thought you'd like to know.

Guest starbane

urpmi mp32ogg

p32ogg v0.11

© 2000-2002 Nathan Walp

Released without warranty under the terms of the Artistic License

Usage: /usr/bin/mp32ogg [options] dir1 dir2 file1 file2 ...

Options:

--delete Delete files after converting

--rename=format Instead of simply replacing the .mp3 with

.ogg for the output file, produce output

filenames in this format, replacing %a, %t

and %l with artist, title, and album name

for the track

--lowercase Force lowercase filenames when using --rename

--verbose Verbose output

--help Display this help message

Time for 2.8gb - about an hour on my poor 1ghz Duron. :)