Multiple extension on ISO

Guest magic_ghost

Guest magic_ghost

Hello,

I have downloaded disc one from the Mandrake website but i am unsure as to whether it will workwhen i burn it to a disc (bootable) since the filename has multiple extensions. The filename is: Mandrakelinux10.0-Official-Download-CD1.i586.iso

the filename will not be a problem. make sure you choose "burn image" as the option for burning the ISO, don't just burn the file to the cd.

(if you tell us what program you're using we should be able to give you more detailed instructions)

p.s. - welcome to the board B)

Guest magic_ghost

I am using Ahead Nero Burning Rom v. 5.5.7.1 I have used it to burn a windows 98 boot disk so I think it works alright.

So if i am correct all I have to do is burn the ISO image onto a bootable disk, restart the computer and install linux.

I am going to use a second hard drive to install linux on and i was wondering if 5200 RPM was too slow and also is mandrake compatible wth Maxtor hard drives?

Edited by magic_ghost

Yes, many people here have it on Maxtor drives and no 5200 RPM isn't too slow :)

I forget how Nero does ISO Images, but just make sure that after burning the cd and you view it your see directories not just the ISO file (the ISO file shouldn't be there).

Also, you might want to get CD 2 and 3 from where you got CD 1, they include quite a few other programs you will almost definitely want.

So if i am correct all I have to do is burn the ISO image onto a bootable disk, restart the computer and install linux.

This could be interpreted a couple of ways. As tyme said, you need to burn the image to a cd.

Nero has an option like 'Burn image to disk' or 'Create disk from image' or 'Burn Image'. Do not attempt to create a bootable CD with the .iso file on it. Or a data CD or anything that doesn't say 'image'. Also, Nero's default image format is not iso, so you may have to select .iso or all files to see it so that you can select it before the burn.

Oh, that's not multiple extensions, just one: .iso.

The i586 just means it's intended for Intel 586 (Pentium) class processors (no 486's).

You can have that even in windoze. Just rename a file called mytextfile.txt to mytextfile.txt.crap.dos.txt and it will still work.

Edited by somedude

Guest magic_ghost

I have burnt the ISO image onto a bootable disk and, as a result of it being an iso image it didn't work so i will now try to change it to .i586.img and see if that works.

Also When i did burn the iso on a 700 MB disc it said theres not enouph space and it would have to finalize the disc, whatever that means. Also when i looked at the disc itself (to see if the file had burnt properly) there was nothing on there although strangely enouph it did say it was full when i looked at properties.

Ok it didnt work and never will because it is too big for the disc. The capacity is 700 MB but the file is 711 MB.

Are there discs with bigger capacitys than 700 MB around?

Edited by magic_ghost

magic_ghost:

1. the first MDK 10.0 Official is 694,8 MB big. Please check again. It does fit on a 700 MB cd-r. If you are in windows it's possible that you see a size like 711,870. and something (?), that's just a different way to display something, bytes and mb's and so ... (please someone else explain this, lol)

2. some old nero versions have a bug, they refuse to burn even if it's right under 700 MB. Update your nero version.

3. Make sure after downloading an iso-file that you *always* check the md5sum to ensure the file is not corrupted.

4. Please take your time to read the basics about iso-files, how to download, how to check, how to burn:

http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/isofaq.html

http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html

http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/verifyiso.html

Good luck to you!

p.s. and before you start to install, please set the harddrive in your BIOS to LBA mode.

Edited by anna

Guest magic_ghost

Ok, I have done it! :D

Thanks to everyone who helped me. :thumbs:

I now have a fully functional linux install disc which i will use (after i burn discs 2 and 3) to install linux!

P.S. The links were very helpfull.