A few problems with new install...

Jezza

Ok, I finally made the switch after 4 years of trying... I got my WinXP/Mandrake (9.2) dual-boot running.. I have GRUB on a floppy, and Win XP will boot if the floppy isn't in...

OK, so I get into X, set up my internet connection (I have 2 PCs, one runs WIn XP all the time, and has Wingate installed with NAT ennabled. I get my internet on the client through the NAT) so I set the gateway PC to 192.168.0.1 and everything else as normal. I access the internet perfectly in WinXP with these settings, but in Mandrake I can only access websites for a certain ammount of time, then I can suddenly no-longer get to them (Firefox just says "resolving www.blah.com" until it times out.) This happens in Mozilla, Konquerer and Galeon. Can anyone help me out?

The wierd thing, is that IRC and MSN work constantly. And resetting the Wingate Engine on the server PC allows me to connect again...

Does anyone have any idea what's up? I'm very new to this so you'll have to talk down to me, lol.

I also have a few other problems... I have a soundblaster Live! pci soundcard, and the only noises I get in Linux are system beeps, not powered by the card... I did get an error message, but I forget...

Also, I have a problem with installing from tar.gz files... it seems that I can only install programs to the location I downloaded the gzip file to, which is only the /home/james directorty, I have Firefox running from the desktop...

Furthermore, it seems that somewhere along the lines, the permissions got messed up... I can't install rmps even when logged in as root. not can I execute certain ./make files

I installed Wine to help me to get to my e-mail as for some reason, none of the browsers will connect to hotmail... they al just say "resolving host loginnet.hotmail.com" but I can't install the rpm

Another problem is my graphics... I installed the lastest ATi driver for my 9600xt, but all the games either run way slow, or dont run at all!! TuxRacer is stupidly slow, and I have no control of the menus...

Help!!!

I really don't wanna have to reply upon Windows...

moved from hardware to installing by Ixthusdan

I hate to say it but your system sounds hosed. I would start over.

As far as your internet connection is concerned, can you ping the gateway PC ? If you can, try pinging the DNS server next then try pinging google.com this will tell you how far you are getting. I usually set up the gateway to be the DNS server too. Of course my configuration is backwards from yours. My linux box is the gateway and DNS server for the rest of the systems on my network.

As far as the permissions, graphics, sound and other problems you are having, there are too many to troubleshoot effectively. I would reinstall and work on one problem at a time.

first, for a better result you should make a separate post for each problem. For example the internet connection trouble would be in its right place in the networking forum.

Errrr ... I restart

first of all hello and welcome. :)

Then about the internet connection:

get the IP address of a website, ie google.com (ok its 216.239.37.99)

then, when you are in trouble, enter a console (Alt-F1), log as root and ping with the IP address: ping 216.239.37.99

If it replies that means that's a name resolution problem.

In your case as it's the XP box that is the Internet connection server, (usually it's the Linux box), I'm afraid I can't help much more. Somebody may be able to help more here. But knowing that its a name resolution trouble is already a good start.

By the way, when everything works well, still in a console as root, report here what the commands:

route

and

ifconfig -a

say.

Do the same when the server does not respond any more so we can compare.

Oh and to return to the GUI from the console, first logout from root (logout command) then type Alt-F7)

(I don't know your knowledge so forgive me if I say some obvious things to you)

Edited by roland

Ok, sorry about posting in the wrong forum... I decided it was all related to the installation, though...

Well, I've had a busy day and after some serious googling and usenet searches, I *think* I've fixed the network issue, but adding an external DNS ip to the /etc/resolv.config

I will re-install, as suggested by drjones.. I'll come back if the problems persist...

Ok, I finally made the switch after 4 years of trying... I got my WinXP/Mandrake (9.2) dual-boot running.. I have GRUB on a floppy, and Win XP will boot if the floppy isn't in...

If you don't mind me asking, what was it that you couldn't get done in 4 years?

And I must add, I'm not being sarcastic, just curious.

And the floppy boot setup, were you just cautious, or was there another reason? Because XP can coexist with Linux and Lilo can boot either one.