Battle for Wesnoth Functional on Mandrake?

Hugolino

Greetings,

:unsure: I installed the official Mandrake 10.0 RPM for the fantasy turn-based strategy game "Battle for Wesnoth", but the program won't run! Is anyone able to run this game? Would installing the latest version (see www.wesnoth.org) help? I'm quite a Linux newbie so much prefer working with RPMs whenever possible. :(

As for my computer's info, I have an Inno 3D Tornado GeForce FX 5200 graphics card, but I wouldn't imagine graphics would be a problem for a simple turn-based game. My sound card is Nvidia and so is my motherboard. My processor is AMD Athlon.

Sincerely,

Hugolino

> Can you point me to the RPM for the game?

wesnoth-0.6.1-1mdk.rpm

wesnoth-server-0.6.1-1mdk.rpm

There's a Battle for Wesnoth web site as well (www.wesnoth.org) and the version is far more advanced (0.78) , but they don't have any RPMs you can download... only code to compile.

> Have you installed the Nvidia drivers?

I've installed:

NVIDIA_GLX-5336-6mdk.rpm

NVIDIA_nforce-2.4.25.2mdk-1.0-0261.5mdk.rpm

NVIDIA_nforce-smp-2.4.25.2mdk-1.0-0261.5mdk.rpm

NVIDIA_kernel-2.4.25.2mdk-5336-6mdk.rpm (and variations of that RPM name)

> If you try to start the game from the command line what error output does it show you?

$ /usr/games/wesnoth

Initialized true type fonts

BEGIN: preprocessing file...

END: preprocessing file... (took 79ms)

BEGIN: parsing config...

END: parsing config... (took 0ms)

Could not find units configuration

$

:thumbs: I explored the web and an article in Linux Gaming Planet led me back to the Battle for Wesnoth web site, and I discovered they've updated their binaries page (either that or I overlooked it earlier). They write:

Wesnoth for Mandrakelinux ( cooker ) :

Package are included in cooker, use urpmi ( urpmi wesnoth )

Wesnoth for Mandrakelinux ( 10.0 ) :

wesnoth 0.6.1 is included in contribs repository. However the package has a problem. You need to be in /usr/share/games/wesnoth/ before running wesnoth.

Unofficial and newer packages can be found on http://www.zarb.org/~misc/wesnoth/10.0/

So I guess now I have to wait for the long download (my modem is refusing to go faster than 14.4 and I haven't figured out where the problem lies). :)