K3b

Sherpa

i have a 52x writer drive, but when i try to burn a cd at 52x will not do it, instead it runs at about 15x, is there as way to speed this up? or change some type of buffer to a larger ammount (hard drive space is not a problem i have half a terabyte of free space B) )

The speed can depend on the CD-R / CD-RW quality. k3b detects at witch speed the media is writable and tries to burn at the fastest posssible speed. But if the media is slow it burns .. slow.

If you try to copy a disk, it also depend on the speed of the source media. Burning an image is always the fastest as the HD is much faster to read than a CD-Rom.

There is no way that you can burn 52x stable, especially with burn-proof on. If you are still using kernel 2.4.x, cd burning in linux require scsi-emulation, which takes a LOT of cpu power. Besides, in my case 16x speed is the maximum speed for a cd that can be readable in any kind of cd-rom. Any faster than that and it's a lot of cd errors. I usually burn at 8x or 4x even just to make sure that my cdrom can be read everywhere.