reset config files?

Urza9814

Is there any way to reset all my config files? I have come to the conclusion that they are all damaged beyond repeair. Half of them it won't even let me access for some reason! I don't have permission! Any way to easily repair/reset them, without harming my other data? I don't wanna spend a few days finding what I need to keep and what is just config...

you are trying to access them as root, aren't you? i mean, you should be able to view them as user, but not edit them as user. what are the permissions for them? the norm for /etc/directories should be rwxr-xr-x owned by root. rw-r--r-- owned by root for the /etc/config files. you could reset the permissions one by one if they're all screwed somehow. time consuming, but it should work. or, you can try the upgrade method method with the install cd's. that should set things back to normal.

Chris

See, I can't do anything with 'em at all though as user...I don't mean edit them...I mean, GIMP gets errors about them, my only working browser is firefox now because the rest either need KDE or have screwy config files, and KDE won't even work because of the config probs. I can't view them because none of the browsers or file managers needed will run. Evolution gets permission errors with gnome2_private...and a buncha other stuff...

I can't use KDE, I can't use Gnome, I can't use Mozilla, Konqueror, Evolution, GIMP, Nautilus, Galeon, and that's just out of the stuff I use on a daily basis! (well, except KDE and Gnome)

edit:

I was gonna backup my stuff in case this upgrade somehow screwed it up...but I can't run any of my compression progs either. This is basically what I get when I try to run something:

[urza9814@localhost urza9814]$ ark
kdeinit: Aborting. No write access to '/home/urza9814/.ICEauthority'.
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Can't setup DCOP communication.
[urza9814@localhost urza9814]$ file-roller

** (file-roller:3141): WARNING **: Wrong permissions for /home/urza9814/tmp/orbit-urza9814

** (file-roller:3141): WARNING **: Wrong permissions for /home/urza9814/tmp/orbit-urza9814-28a86888

** (file-roller:3141): WARNING **: Wrong permissions for /home/urza9814/tmp/orbit-urza9814-a8e8c8d8

Could not set mode 0700 on private per-user gnome configuration directory `/home/urza9814/.gnome2_private/': Operation not permitted

edit2:

Ok, I can do stuff as root, problem is, it doesn't matter, because nothing is set up under root, and my mom needs her old emails and stuff from Evolution....

Ah! If I run Konqueror as root I might be able to reset the permissions...

Edited by Urza9814

Aight, still got Evolution trouble, and I know why...I had this exact error before, and I messed with the permissions...set it to allow all...and apparently it doesn't like that. Can someone tell me how to fix this/what to set these to?

[urza9814@localhost urza9814]$ evolution

** (evolution:3395): WARNING **: Wrong permissions for /home/urza9814/tmp/orbit-urza9814

** (evolution:3395): WARNING **: Wrong permissions for /home/urza9814/tmp/orbit-urza9814-28a86888

** (evolution:3395): WARNING **: Wrong permissions for /home/urza9814/tmp/orbit-urza9814-a8e8c8d8

** (evolution:3395): WARNING **: Wrong permissions for /home/urza9814/tmp/orbit-urza9814-a86808b8

Could not set mode 0700 on private per-user gnome configuration directory `/home/urza9814/.gnome2_private/': Operation not permitted

The one that scares me is that last one...is says operation not permitted, when it has full permission for that folder...

edit:

I realized I had this before...found my old topic...and revived it...after I figured out what I did to fix it...I had to slightly modify one of the commands in there (change urza9814:user to urza9814)

Edited by Urza9814

so you're good now? you could always use userdrake (or kuser in kde) to add user groups, permissions, etc. chmod 777 in cli would prolly do the trick too. hope it's ok for ya now, though.

Chris