My 10CE aint broke... is there a reason to fix it?

chin808

So I have my mandy 10 CE running really well, I have installed alot of the bugfixes and whatnot and Im pretty pleased with what I have. My question is : Is there any point to upgrading to the OE version? I was just wondering if there is anything worth reloading for... that I cant jus get from an update??? Thanx kids

-C

If you updated your CE with the CE tree I don't think you can update your CE with the OE tree now. They are NOT compatible. CE is more bleeding edge.

Ugrading to OE ? I don't know. I've heard that Mandrake's upgrades are better now, I was quite satisfied with my upgrade from 9.2 to 10.0 CE (thought I've made a fresh install since then to see if there is a difference: didn't seen any). But an upgrade from 10 CE to 10 OE ? I don't know as 10 CE is more advanced. :unsure:

Fresh install 10 OE ? I'm asking myself the same question thought I've promised myself (and my wife) that I'm not going to break my 10.0 CE that runs perfectly well :deal: ... but I'm curious...........

Anyway: from the beginning, I've updated my 10.CE with the 10.0 OE tree. So I think my 10.0 CE is still OE compatible and even is a OE. Am I wrong here ?

-do not- do a 10.0 CE to 10.0 OE upgrade, as it may actually be a "downgrade" so to speak. 10.0 OE had a version freeze, that meaning that at a point during it's development no new full versions of programs were permitted (i.e. GNOME is 2.4 in OE and 2.6 in CE), only bugfixes and security patches.

OE and CE are two different monsters. The question is not should you upgrade from CE to OE, the question is would you prefer OE over CE? CE is bleeding edge, but is more likely to have some bugs introduced along the way. OE is the "stable" release, and is intended to be less buggy than CE. This is the first time Mandrake has used this release cycle, and so we're all just kind of hanging in there to see how it goes.

Thank you gentlemen... Tyme, you have cleared this up somewhat for me and because my CE is running just fine I think I will keep this ver. Although I know as a fact Im still running gnome 2.4 ... Can I get 2.6 somewhere else? off the cd's? Plf maybe?

Thanx!

Guest lafalot

my original CE install had GNOME 2.4...

I thought that CE was a sort-of development freeze. it was released to find bugs and whatnot, and re-released with the fixes as OE. that's the impression that I got from reading the website. I thought that there was a bleeding-edge version that really was more advanced etc. but that OE is just CE with bugfixes and updates and such.

...but that OE is just CE with bugfixes and updates and such.

I think OE is just the first CE with bugfixes. Then CE continued to evolve.

I started with the CE but updated it with the OE RPM's from the beginning.

Now, If I do an update with the OE RPM's I don't have any update to do. If I try an update with the CE PRMs I have plenty (that I don't want to install).

So: Is my CE an OE now ?