official / community / cooker

akshunj

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything useful after searching the forum.

I remember reading somewhere that Mandrake's "official / community / cooker" was very much like Debian's "Woody (stable) / Sarge (testing) / Sid (unstable). Is this true?

If so, are there cooker ISO's available? And as of right now, is Mandy 10 CE the same as Mandy 10 official? Thanks!

--Akshun J

Cooker is the next Mandrake, unstable and iffy as far as function. Take heed when they say not to put it on an operational box.

Community Edition is a frozen cooker that is functional and needs to be ran on as many different hardware combos as possible. It is a 85% workable possibility. The last Community Edition had around a Gig of updates! (fixes)

Official Edition is a bonafide functioning release.

Any of these could work on your box, and any could fail. Mandrake is a bleeding edge type of new now distro. But the Official Edition is the most tested and most likely to succeed.

Cooker iso's are frequently available from Mandrake, but you can always get them from http://www.cheapbytes.com/

Thanks a bunch for the quick reply!

Hmmm. I have a DVD of Mandy 10 CE, and I want to try it out as I have some funky hardware combos and I want to make sure the installer doesn't wig out. Will CE continue to be updated?

--Akshun J

CE is already a dead duck!!! As soon as the OE went into production, the CE is sort of old stuff. If you install it, and it works good, you can use urpmi to update the whole system to OE.