Kernel update questions

I have just updated my MDK10 to the latest mandrake standard kernel 2.6.3.13 using uprmi. Everything is working, though I have a couple of questions..

1) Will things compiled against the old kernel continue to work without any changes. I'm thinking mainly of the nvidia graphics driver.

2) I haven't yet installed the source. When I do will the old sources still be kept, and how do I ensure that the new sources are used when compiling. Does changing the link linux in /usr/src to point to the new source directory ensure this?

3) More generally, as I now have two kernels and maybe more in the future, is there anything to be aware of when switching between them. They would all be 2.6.x.x but does this cause problems when compiling against one and running the application under another?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest LonelyWolf

i've just updated to 2.6.3-13mdk and started xserver (i wanted to know if rebuild for nvidia driver is needed). started correctly.

I've noticed that stopping x with 2.6.3-7mdk wasn't a good idea (only pixels on my monitor, reboot was ok), but now it's ok.

1) Will things compiled against the old kernel continue to work without any changes. I'm thinking mainly of the nvidia graphics driver.

It usually works when the kernel version is the same. NVidia of course stops working when the libGL files are not of the same version as the kernel module. (As it says in the docs, as I experienced myself)