considering a Java course for an elective

I'm considering taking a java course for one of my electives.

What former programming experience I have is with COBOL, and a few other non-OO languages.

I bought a couple of java books, but I have to admit that it looks a hell of a lot different than what I am used to. I took a VB course (introductory) last year (required for my IT degree). Although VB may be considered OOP, I breezed through the course with an easy A. I thought it was pretty mickey mouse.... I don't want to take any of the advanced VB courses.

Do you think I will have trouble with learning java from scratch, without knowing OOP at all.. ?

For my other elective choices, I think I will choose among some various web design/development courses.

VB is NOT OO - although it does have objects in it. Java in itself is not complicated - but OO concepts can be difficult to get your head around if you're used to a procedural background. It's just a case of trying to get used to it which simply takes time. I say, go for it. If you have any questions feel free to ask me (my job is to teach Java) and I'l lsee what I can do - no guaruntees I can answer though!

Java is probably the easiest for learning OO.... well thats my opinion anyway :P It is simple and straight forward, when you have got your head around it.

I don't know what books Phunni would recommend, but when I started learning it at Uni, we were recommended Ivor Horton's "Beginning Java 2" from Wrox press. I'd say its quite a good book - I learnt from it, but I don't know what the new version is like (my copy is for JDK 1.3).

As far as books go - I'd leave it a little bit until books come out for 1.5 - there are quite a few nice, but major changes.

Actually, while I think about it, it might be worth asking if the course will cover any of the new stuff in 1.5 - it's not particualrly complicated (although getting your head around the polymorphic implications of generics is good fun*)

*when you can understand this sentence, you have very little else to worry about :cheeky:

Oooo don't go scaring him!!!

Phunni - have you found 1.5 to be faster than 1.4? On my machine, it appears about 15% faster under linux, but when run in XP is actually slower! :screwy:

And I don't think my uni are doing anything specific with 1.5 - think they intend to wait until it pasts testing, and that will be after my graduation.

If you're studying for an IT-degree, I would recommend it ... I'm only a student myself, but I think that some knowledge of OO-design is helpful, certainly if you're going to make software I think. Anyway , I live XXX miles.kilometres away from you ...depending where you live :D.

I also first learned procedural programming .... and then OO. I wish you luck if you're going to follow it (nothing bad meant).

Oooo don't go scaring him!!!

Phunni - have you found 1.5 to be faster than 1.4? On my machine, it appears about 15% faster under linux, but when run in XP is actually slower! :screwy:

And I don't think my uni are doing anything specific with 1.5 - think they intend to wait until it pasts testing, and that will be after my graduation.

To be honest I haven't loads of time with it - certainly not enough to make a speed comparison. Recently, a client wanted some training on the new features so I had to spend some time playing with it (on XP :( ) and I was really impressed with generics and the new for loop.

Most of the work I do is fairly critical, so I'll probably wait till it's stable before really using it - although when it is stable I'll get it straight away!

I think this course will be not too cutting edge in term of new java things. In fact, I have been holding off a couple of months waiting for the course to be updated to a newer textbook. The textbook it is being updated to is about 9 months old, so I suppose it would be on java 1.4.

Since this is an elective course, it will mostly be programming applets. I don't expect a real hard-core course. I am a Information Technology major, not a Computer Science major - and as you know, CS classes are much more programming oriented.

The only programming classes available at this school are the one java course mentioned above, and several VB courses - intro to advanced, and several C, C+, C++ courses.

C courses are not required for I.T. majors, if fact the only programming required for the I.T. degree is the Intro to VB - which I took and got an A.

I've been going thru the Sun java tutorials on their website, and I own a few books, which cover java 1.4. I installed sdk 1.4 as well as Eclipse. And also I have TextPad - which came with one of my books.

I do have a "procedural brain". I did very well way back when I took COBOL courses. I guess I will take the course since it looks like I will have my own java tutor:

If you have any questions feel free to ask me (my job is to teach Java)

how can I turn that down ?