Update problem perl lang.....?

Sherpa

"For rpmdrake, are you using the 'Install Software' option, or the 'Mandrake Update' Option?"

I'm using Mandrake Update option.

Last time I tried this was the third, and it takes over two hours for main, so reluctanct to try it again.

"For rpmdrake, are you using the 'Install Software' option, or the 'Mandrake Update' Option?"

I'm using Mandrake Update option.

Last time I tried this was the third, and it takes over two hours for main, so reluctanct to try it again.

In order to view sources other than the update_source, you need to use the 'Install Software' menu option. This will allow you to install programs off of the cd's as well.

2.6.3-4mdkenterprise i have this kernel....

why is the update trying to install the 2.63-9 Kernel-source file? should i update my kernel? or is there even an update?

[root@localhost david]# urpmi kernel
One of the following packages is needed:
1- kernel-2.6.3.4mdk-1-1mdk.i586
2- kernel-enterprise-2.6.3.4mdk-1-1mdk.i586
What is your choice? (1-2)

what is the difference between the two if i wanted to update or do i need to? or is there a kernel-2.6.3.9mdk?

PS i got that splash screen to work, so nm about that....

Edited by Sherpa

There is a difference, I believe it's in the default amount of RAM that is supported.

There is a 2.6.3-9 kernel. It should be in your update_source, but it might be in the main source. urpmi kernel should give you a rather long list, not just 2 options...of course, maybe that's just me since I run cooker.

Sherpa:

If you install the 2.6.3.9 kernel (should), you'll probably see that desktop doesn't look right, so then you must install the latest version of NVIDIA driver.

It goes like this:

urpmi kernel-2.6.3.9mdk

urpmi kernel-source-2.6.3-9mdk

init 3

cd <where you dlownloaded nvidia driver (presently 5336)>

(instructions at http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display..._1.0-5336.html)

exit

startx

you can run glxgears (as root)

to confirm that nvidia is right.

"In order to view sources other than the update_source, you need to use the 'Install Software' menu option. This will allow you to install programs off of the cd's as well."

Tried that, didn't work. Still in dependancy hell. :wall:

Edited by WilliamS

hmm i installed the kernel and in my lilo boot manager i see linux-enterprise (that is the one i am using WHAT DOES THE ENTERPRISE MEAN?) and then way down at the bottom i saw 263-9 so i clicked that one, i did download the IA32 drivers from nvidia right before i did this and tried to install there was a proble but it was something about it not being able to compiile but i checked to make sure i had the correct kernel and i checked to make sure i had the correct kernel source, i guess i can uninstall and reinstall the kernel source b/c i dont ever remember downloading it or urpmi-ing it so.... there is also another driver for nvidia the IA64 driver but when i click on it to download the code for it pops up in my browser and i cannot save it, what is the difference btw the two?

i got everything to work, i just uninstalled the kernel-source-2.6.3-9mdk that was already on my comp and reinstalled it and now i am using the newer kernel:

[david@localhost david]$ glxgears
20291 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4058.200 FPS
23556 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4711.200 FPS
23530 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4706.000 FPS
24195 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4839.000 FPS
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
[david@localhost david]$ uname -r
2.6.3-9mdk
[david@localhost david]$

that top part is the glxgears FPS but just curious, when i did those, yes i get high fps but the gears looked as though they just vibrated, and didnt acually rotate. Is this a problem or is this just b/c the FPS is so high? B)

Appearance of vibrating gears not a problem AFAIK, probably the way that prog. is written.

The ENTERPRISE kernel is one of several of the same version, made for different purposes depending on size of hard drive, or people who write code, or something else. I've always used just the plain kernel, written like this: kernel-2.6.3.9mdk and kernel-source-2.6.3-9mdk.

The nvidia IA64 driver is for a machine I don't have, I ignore it.

You can see what kernel is being used by typing uname -r

You can see all kernels and kernel-sources installed by typing

rpm -qa | grep kernel