Update problem perl lang.....?

Sherpa

[root@localhost david]# urpmi --auto-select
Some package requested cannot be installed:
drakconf-10-13mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied perl(lang))
drakfirsttime-1.0-1.100mdk.noarch (due to unsatisfied perl(ugtk2))
drakwizard-2.12-3.100mdk.noarch (due to unsatisfied perl(network::network))
drakxtools-10-34.1mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied drakxtools-newt[== 10-34.1mdk])
drakxtools-newt-10-34.1mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied perl(Libconf::Glueconf::NUT::Ups_conf))
harddrake-10-34.1mdk.i586 (due to missing drakxtools-newt-10-34.1mdk.i586)
harddrake-ui-10-34.1mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied drakxtools[== 10-34.1mdk])
rpmdrake-2.1.3-3mdk.i586 (due to missing drakxtools-10-34.1mdk.i586) (Y/n) y

this is what i get and i dont know what it means, anyone had this problem :furious3:

post-10-1085105799.ibf

Do you have a contrib source for urpmi?

If not, this might be the problem. Add one, make sure all of your sources are updated, and try it again. It should work.

If you do have all of your urpmi sources added, you might need to try a different mirror, or wait a day or so for your source to be updated.

did i mention that im kinda a noob, ill need further explanation

im still in transition from XP i dont know all of the linux lingo yet.....

heres another error:

[root@localhost david]# urpmi nautilus-2.4.2-5mdk

installing /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/nautilus-2.4.2-5mdk.i586.rpm
error: /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/nautilus-2.4.2-5mdk.i586.rpm: MD5 digest: BAD Expected(aec77e411ec8c7015167c3a3571b6e71) != (ff2e591e84cf707fa5f4f5bf9f1b8049)
unable to install package /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/nautilus-2.4.2-5mdk.i586.rpm
[root@localhost david]#

Edited by Sherpa

let us know if this page:

http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php

gives enough directions (Since you were able to urpmi in terminal, you shouldn't have a problem ;) )

I would add all the sites they have there to your repo's (that is, contrib and plf). they are very helpful and have a lot of useful software!

hehe, it's ok :)

sources (also called repo's, or repositories) are places which hold packages (RPM's) of various pieces of software, or other things you can use on your system (video codecs, libraries, etc.). think of packages as install executables, they are how you install programs in linux. it's more technical than that, and i can explain more if you're interested :)

contrib is short for contributions. these are packages that are not part of the main distribution, what you get on the cd's, but are contributed by others. plf is penguin liberation front, which is a repository that contains various things that you can not (legally) download in America due to patent laws. these include things such as DVD decoding tools and some video codecs that aren't "free" software.

Edited by tyme

10CE kernel-2.6.3.9

When I do easy urpmi and then try to use rpmdrake for a list of what to install (mcc) I get connected to "update source", and that's all there is. main and contrib plf come up blank.

I have the same problem of dependancy hell as Sherpa, and have found no way around it.

Wonder if this is a Mandrake ploy to make us buy 10OE? :cheeky:

i see, well i typed in that code it said to, and it is "examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.update_source.cz]" so im not exactly sure what is going on but.....

well i dont know what this stuff is about perl lang..... i have, and didi install these files before from the same mirror before i messed up kde by forceing an uninstall of part of the core fliles.....( :wall::furious3: )( all i was trying to do was install xine and it said that there were already some files installed that conflicted.....and i uninstalled all of those installed xine and then i had ICEWM to deal with).........but i did at one point before the "happening" installed those files, at least i think i did

Edited by Sherpa

i see, well i typed in that code it said to, and it is "examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.update_source.cz]" so im not exactly sure what is going on but.....

It's examining an already existing source in preparation to add a new source. It's normal.

Once it's done adding the new source(s), type (as root in a console)

urpmi.update -a

to update all of the local hdlists (software files, if you will) to corespond with the ones on the sources.

Then try your urpmi --auto-select again and it should work.

10CE kernel-2.6.3.9

When I do easy urpmi and then try to use rpmdrake for a list of what to install (mcc) I get connected to "update source", and that's all there is. main and contrib plf come up blank.

For rpmdrake, are you using the 'Install Software' option, or the 'Mandrake Update' Option?

Also, head to the site tyme suggested ( http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/ ) and there you can add some other sources according to the directions on that site. That will give you more options for software to install.

i dont know what this stuff is about perl lang..... i have, and didi install these files before from the same mirror before i messed up kde by forceing an uninstall of part of the core fliles.....( :wall::furious3: )( all i was trying to do was install xine and it said that there were already some files installed that conflicted.....and i uninstalled all of those installed xine and then i had ICEWM to deal with).........but i did at one point before the "happening" installed those files, at least i think i did

If you have broadband, add a main source as well. That ought to keep urpmi from wanting to uninstall part of your perfectly working Desktop.

wha is a main source?

a main source is just a source with all the packages that are on your cd. if you have broadband this is easier than swapping cd's time and again.

and my mozilla keeps shutting off randomly???? just started to happen is there a way to update it or save my bookmarks, rip it out, and reinstall it.....

woah there! don't get drastic! this isn't windows! get an update source from the website we provided and see if there is a mozilla update. if you continue to have issues, try out mozilla-firebird which you should be able to easily search for through Mandrake Control Center -> Software -> Install Software

no i put all of my cd's on one of my 80gb harddrive 32GB fat32 part, and installed linux off of the harddrive, so i never have to put cd's in..... yes i do have broadband though

ya i have 2 80GB raid 0 with xp, an 80GB harddrive with a 32GBFat 32 partition on it so i can swap things back and forth from xp to linux; iinux is installed on the rest of the 48GB on that drive, then i have a 250GB backup drive with a 32GB Fat32 part for linux backup again and the rest of that drive is ntfs..... i have a pretty good setup

Edited by Sherpa

no i put all of my cd's on one of my 80gb harddrive 32GB fat32 part, and installed linux off of the harddrive, so i never have to put cd's in.....

well, that works too :D

there is another thing (im just spouting off questions lol) it is with a splash screen that i downloaded here: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=7673 i did every thing that that person posted in order to set it up, i can go to the KDE config center and actually test and see the thing work, but after i selected it, pressed apply, loged off and loged back on, the old default splashed and the new one didnt....

Edited by Sherpa